Help – how do I record main out pre global eq?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Help – how do I record main out pre global eq?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Finnomenon
    Finnomenon
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I’m new here. We’ve been using a Qu-32 for a while now, but to be very honest, we haven’t really scratched the surface in terms of many of the features.

With the current global situation, we have been doing some video recording, and I noticed our recording out (taken via the main out – trs cable) seems to be post-global eq (which is a bit of a problem since our church has a pretty heavy global eq in place).

Is the a way to get a pre-effects/EQ recording out?

Thanks in advance for helping out!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

use a matrix instead
    and switch the matrix send to pre

Finnomenon
    Participant

Thanks Steffen! I’ll check it out.

How do I change the Matrix send option?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

in the routing screen of the matrix, I think

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Isn’t the Pre setting for the send to a Matrix just pre-fader? I would use an unused mix or group set to post-fader. This will mirror the levels you have set on each channel for LR but will exclude the LR EQ. You can even adjust the EQ of the mix if needed.

For even more control, set the channels in the mix to pre-fader. This will allow you to create a customized mix for the recording. And even better, record the service to Qu-Drive multitrack or USB to a PC, and mix down in a DAW.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@finnomenon

our church sends the audio for the video via the matrix out

check the block diagram page 89 in the Qu32 manual
    it should be clear how to do it
    although I did not myself set it up for our church use — the MD did it — so can not guarantee p89 is adequate for you

Finnomenon
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys! Much appreciated!

I will be going early to church tomorrow and see how I can set this up! Thanks!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Because of the “stay at home” order we prerecord our service With a skeleton crew Saturday morning to put it online Sunday morning. I set up a group for our recording to a Mevo camera. Our main PA from LR is adjusted just like we were doing a regular service. Included in the recording mix I added 2 mics setup in the sanctuary to add a little room reverb in the mix. This recorded mix is basically a backup. We also record all channels being used, including the 2 sanctuary mics, and the group mix, to the Qu-Drive. I then bring these all into Cakewalk and create a Stereo mix down using mostly the individual mic channels and a little bit of the sanctuary mics. I then import the video and the stereo mix down into Davinci Resolve, sync the audio to the video, edit, add titles, slides and song verses, then export and upload to Vimeo.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys! Much appreciated!

I will be going early to church tomorrow and see how I can set this up! Thanks!

The matrix mix pre post selection is just pre post fade, so either way you would still get the main L R EQ and compression on the matrix output.

To start off simple I would use a group output, assign all of your input channels to say group 1 2 make sure that you do not assign that group to the main L R mix.
    On the group output master you could apply EQ and compression as needed for your video
    recording. For video and live streaming you may want to add a little extra compression.

Also reference the audio for the video on smaller speakers more in line with what most people will be listening to as they watch the live stream.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.