hard switch off

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions hard switch off

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MikeShand MikeShand 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a happy user of the qu-16 since 3 weeks. This mixer is installed in our jazzclub, and some bands use it for their rehearsals. Despite my warnings, I guess that a lot of users will directly switch the mixer off using the physical button, without using the home/shut down menu. I wonder what are the risks for the qu-16 in this case.

Thanks

Profile photo of abzurd1
    abzurd1
    Participant

I rarely remember and have had no issues. It boots up fine and seemingly back to the state in which I left it previously. My guess is the board “auto-saves” settings every few minutes and shutdown process is there to manually save between auto-saves.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Well,

My 32 isn’t in yet…but!

From what I’d see based on previous albeit not latest software…

The biggest issue would be non closed recordings….if you shut down the console with it still recording that’s an issue…and if you press stop and immediately shutting off there may be unsaved data as well…and make the audio files corrupted…maybe even totally unusable…

As for the desk settings…never seen any issues…

Profile photo of odesr
    odesr
    Participant

Many thanks for your answers.

Profile photo of Kyle
    Kyle
    Participant

I recently helped install a QU-32 in my church. The power sequencing of our setup is currently performed manually by the operator, but proper power sequencing equipment will be installed soon (Furman PowerLink and remote outlets) in order to simplify the process for lesser trained volunteers.

Extending the original question slightly, would it be safe to have the mixer switched off via a power sequencer that simply turned off power to the outlet that the mixing board is plugged in to? In this case, the power down bypasses both the software and hardware shutdown functions built in to the board.

I recognize the risk for lost data or corrupted files when writing to USB, but I think it is acceptable in our case since the USB writing functionality is only used by the more experienced operators (who would know to properly end the recording before powering down).

Thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

It would be nice (for proper sequencers) if there was a remote shutdown command (there may well be over IP/midi?)

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Extending the original question slightly, would it be safe to have the mixer switched off via a power sequencer that simply turned off power to the outlet that the mixing board is plugged in to? In this case, the power down bypasses both the software and hardware shutdown functions built in to the board.

That’s exactly what we do with our GLD and it seems fine from that point of view. There are other issues with phantom on power up that have been documented elsewhere. One interesting quirk is that doing a software shutdown only disables the surface but, of course, the mixer continues to pass sound until the power is actually shut off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.