Getting the Max amount of Stereo Mix sends from qu24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Getting the Max amount of Stereo Mix sends from qu24

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Moe O
    Moe O
    Participant

I take delivery of the QU24 tomorrow. I am coming from the QU16. I’m lookin for a way to max the amount of stereo mix sends to in ear monitor sets for the prioritized list of players below.
    1. Drummer
    2. Bass Player
    3. Guitar Player
    4. Acoustic Guitar
    5. Keys
    5. Lead Vox
    6. Backing Vox 1
    7. Backing Vox 2
    8. Sax
    Will I be able to offer stereo in ear mix sends to all of the above players with the QU24?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Short answer is….if those 8 people truly want/need stereo IEM mixes then no.

At most you would get would be 7 stereo mixes and that would be using the 4 mono mixes in pairs for stereo, setting up a stereo mix using the mono sends would be doable but cumbersome.

The QU 32 would get you 7 stereo mixes without getting into using the mono mixes.

Will the mixer also be used for the main mix? If not the the main LR mix could be used as a stereo IEM mix.

Using a couple the ME monitor mix units would get you some more stereo mixes.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Another option could be to have 1 “base mix”, shared by multiple members and then add f.i. Rolls units to to let them mix in themselves as they please.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Moe O
    Moe O
    Participant

Hi Giga:
    Could you elaborate on what “add f.i. Rolls units” are.
    Thank you

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Rolls PM50se Personal Monitor Amp

It has an XLR pass-thru along with stereo monitor input, so your “base mix” would come in on the monitor input and the XLR pass-thru sends the signal from your mic or instrument to the board but also allows you to boost it’s level in your in-ear/headphones/etc. for a semi-custom “more me” mix.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Take a hard look at who really needs a stereo mix and see who could share the same mix.

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @Moe O,

I would strongly recommend for you to have a look at the ME Personal Mixing System.
    Given your requirements, it seems to be a very well fitted solution for you.

By using either ME-500 or ME-1 units, the musicians would be mixing themselves and able to create a stereo mix. Added to that, you wouldn’t be using any of your Aux Mixes, which will allow you to have them free for any other feed that you need, such as broadcast or wedges.

For your reference: https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/me/
    If you have any further questions regarding the system, you may contact your local A&H distributor/supplier: https://www.allen-heath.com/where-to-buy/
    Or feel free to reach out to our support team and we’ll be happy to assist with any doubt: Support@allen-heath.com

Thank you,
    Rafa

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I take delivery of the QU24 tomorrow. I am coming from the QU16. Iā€™m lookin for a way to max the amount of stereo mix sends to in ear monitor sets for the prioritized list of players below.

You must be the drummer….. šŸ˜‰

As already noted, the QU24 only has 5 stereo and 4 mono mixes available. It will be best if you stick to this scheme. As Rafael noted, the QU does support the ME system, so you could add ME units to increase the number of stereo mixes. The ME devices don’t count towards your available buss count on the console. This means you could have 5 stereo mixes using the console, and then add 3 ME devices to provide another 3 stereo mixes which would give you 8 unique and independent stereo monitor mixes.

Of course that solution is more expensive than simply purchasing a QU32 or SQ5 (if it is possible to change the order at this point or return the QU24). This is one of those situations where it sounds like someone picked a console based on input counts and price and skipping over important specs like buss count. (I’ve been there myself – which is why I am hyper sensitive to this issue and try to remind people considering a new console that buss counts are probably the biggest consideration and also where consoles really differ from one to another).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.