Further development of DEEP plugins

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Further development of DEEP plugins

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of evankiljoy
    evankiljoy
    Participant

I am looking at an SQ6 to become my audio interface (via SoundGrid) and control surface. The thing that has really brought me to the SQ series as a console is its FPGA engine and DEEP plugins. I hear from A&H staff that further DEEP plugins are going to be released in the future but is there any indication of what we can expect?

If this is the right place to make recommendations then I’d like to suggest the following:
    – Neve 1073/1081/1093 (I guess you could split the preamp modelling and EQ modelling into their respective sections)
    – Neve TG12413 & 2254E limiter and compressor
    – Pultec EQP-1A
    – Teletronix LA3A
    – API 550A & 550B

TBH, it’s mainly the Neve preamp and eq modelling that would be most useful. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

I would give my balls for an API 2500, a 33609 or a 4K (any serious bus compressor).

Ps. Just a typo, but the TG1234 was a custom unit by EMI, not Neve.

I hope they up their DEEP game soon.

evankiljoy
    Participant

Ahh right! The only time I’ve used the 12413s is in an old EMI Neve console so that’d be my confusion.

Profile photo of jes89
    jes89
    Participant

+1 and fairchild 660/670

evankiljoy
    Participant

Ohhhh, a 660/670 would be really nice.

Maybe a Shure Level-Loc too…

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

The only things that’ll you’ll have a chance of seeing on any SQ-Series will be ported over from the dLive consoles.

dLive FX & Processing

evankiljoy
    Participant

Those dLive effects alone would be a great upgrade. I’ve had communication from A&H themselves saying that there are further SQ series DEEP plugins coming, whether or not that just means the dLive ones being ported across or processors further to that I’m not sure. Do the dLive series have the DEEP compressors/GEQ and Tube Preamp options that the SQ series have?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Yes, dLive has the preamps, compressors GEQs, and a really nice FX library. It has an additional preamp, and compressor model, and many additional FX that are presently not available on the SQ. I’m hoping that A&H ports over the OptTronic compressor model to the SQ series.

evankiljoy
    Participant

Wow, just checked out the OptTronik compressor on the dLive Director, how close is it to an LA2A?… But at least it looks great! So does the Ducker, that would be very handy in a recording context too. The Dual Tube preamp looks nice, how does it differ to the Tube Stage sound?

Profile photo of ParkerA1996
    ParkerA1996
    Participant

I was just searching around to see if there was any info on if a 2500 or similar would eventually be added to the dLive platform…. So here I am reviving this old thread 😂

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The OP is apparently planning to develop a recording set-up close to the one I have developed over the last few years. It is very important to understand the recording areas that an A&H SQ is best used and the activities that the Waves Soundgrid and your DAW will be better suited.

1) IMO either a DX168 or DX32 loaded with prime I/Os that use the SQ’s Waves card and it’s Tie Lines to deliver the pre only signal for the DAW’s initial capture is a real good idea.
    2) The real beauty of an SQ’s recording role is in the fabulous studio mixes with custom prefered FX for the artist’s cueing needs. Whether it is a case of a lead track being layered or a band working with the 4 me cueing system the SQ5 in my studio gets a real work out. IMO none of these embellishments should be printed on the initial DAW tracks. Starting out with ultra clean tracks to build a two mix is always my mixing protocol.
    3) To this end most all of the desired plug-ins described are available with Waves where you will be working after the tracks are in the box. Any notion that the SQ should have a meaty role in post production is not a good idea: The Soundgrid/Waves platform is far better suited to these chores.

Please remember A&H has made an on going effort to facilitate live performance USB recording: however it is first and foremost a live performance desk that at it’s price point has no equal. Another great feature with the A&H product line is a menu of upgrades in both software and gear, that can make a real difference in the sonic quality of your capture, be it for live gigs or recording. The DX168 D-Live pres are better than the std. SQ pres and the “Prime” money channel I/Os are the absolute detailed transparent last word in front end capture. IMO putting the subject expansion stage box I/Os at the feet of the talent you are capturing is a no brainer with out question, for both the studio and particularly live performance. The I/Os on my SQ5 are a total wast because I never use them. A tactile controller with all of the D-Live processing and connectivity goodies and few if any I/Os is high on my wish list.
    I bought the 5 comps that were offered as an SQ package but I didn’t need the deep FX bundle given the fact I have a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 equipped project studio with a ton of plug-ins.
    Hugh

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.