FOH / Mon setup – sq / qu

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FOH / Mon setup – sq / qu

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RoB
    RoB
    Participant

Hello,

first of all this is my first post here. I hope I‘m doing it correctly. Also I‘m from Austria and my english is not the best 🙂

I have two bands which I‘m touring around. Both bands have an Qu-16 console for themself for smaller venues they play without FOH.

Now I want to use my SQ-6 for FOH-sound instead of an iPad. I think this is possible? Whith tielines i can run the FOH-sound and the band can run their monitors on their consoles.

We always use the same microphone – small or bigger venues, so for the monitors it doesn,t change everything.

But now the big question: is it also possible to add a stagebox ar2412? I want to add some additional channels: kick out, snare bottom, hihat, 2nd guitar,…

The bands don‘t need these channels on monitor.

The problem: i only have one slink-port (the „standard“ one)

So is this connection possible:

SQ-6 – AR2412 – via Expander to QU-16?

Thank you ALL

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

No you will need a S-Link card in the SQ6 to send the Tie Lines back to the QU.

The Expander port is only to connect an AR0804 or an AB168 to the Ar2412 to expand up to max 40 inputs on that string.

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @RoB,

A few points to clarify:
    – Adding a stagebox into your system, will only allow you to increase the amount of input sockets, but not the amount of processing channels.
    Meaning that if you are currently already using the 48 processing channels that SQ works with, adding the AR2412 is not going to increase that amount of channels, but instead you are increasing the amount of Input sockets and allowing you to connect sources from a different location other than the local sockets of the mixer.

– It is possible to do a digital split between Qu and SQ for audio sharing through Tielines. However, as Soren mentioned above, the linked mixer must be connected into the SLink port of the SQ. If you want to be using an expander at the same time, you will need to fit an optional SLink card at the I/O port, which enables a completely new and independant SLink port for you.
    The Expander port at the AR2412 will not work for this operation.

Here are some articles and documentation that might be of help for you:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403618840849-General-How-to-connect-Qu-SQ
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_5_0.pdf

Cheers,
    Rafael

Profile photo of RoB
    RoB
    Participant

Thank you for the answers, this helps me totally

Profile photo of RoB
    RoB
    Participant

Hello again,

If I now add a slink card to my sq, can I get my signals to the console via the stage box and pass them on to the Qu via tielines? There the musicians can mix their IEMs?

But can I also send individual channels from the Qu to the SQ? A band has their wireless microphones wired to the console. But I probably have to do the work here and reconnect the individual cables?

Thanks a lot

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @RoB

I think the best way to think about it is in two parts, as you have two connections.

The connection of the AR2412 increases (expands) the number of input and output sockets available to the SQ system.
    This means that in addition to the local sockets, you can also source any inputs from the AR2412 or send any output signals to it.

Then you have a system to system connection which is the SQ to Qu connection.
    Using this you can send up to 60 signals from the Qu to the SQ, or up to 40 signals from the SQ to the Qu.
    These signals can be a combination of direct outputs, tie lines and outputs and can be patched individually at each end.

So yes, you could use tie lines to send signals from the SQ local input sockets and AR2412 input sockets, on to the Qu without using any input processing channels in the SQ.

Note also that the link Rafa posted to the SLink connections document shows possible connections to a single SLink port. As an SLink card provides a secondary independent port, any two of the connections in that document are now possible for you 🙂

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.