Finding replacement SBC touchscreen computers

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive troubleshooting Finding replacement SBC touchscreen computers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alan Alan 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

I believe I have a failed SBC (touchscreen computer) in my T-112 surface. I have some questions about replacing it.

1) Based on the attached document I found in another thread, there appear to have been three different SBCs used in the T series. I believe I have the “Fujitsu SBC – 004-111 – AE8214” in my surface. Would I have to replace it with the same SBC, or would any of the three models work?

2) Does anyone know if the T-80 and T-112 used the same SBCs? I’m guessing the answer is yes since the attached document calls out different SBC models for the R72, but it would be great to have confirmation of this.

3) As far as I know these SBCs are no longer available from Allen & Heath. These SBC units look like off-the-shelf computers to me, but so far I haven’t found the right search terms to find anything like these outside of the Allen & Heath world. Does anyone know what the generic name for these computers are that I might be able to pull up in a Google search (type of computer or processor model or anything)? Or better yet, does anyone know where/how to find these computers outside of Allen & Heath?

By the way, the troubleshooting I’ve done that makes me think the SBC is bad:
    * The CMOS battery has been replaced and is good
    * There is 24V power to the SBC (actually 25.6V when not under load)
    * When powered on the touchscreen is all white. I’ve tried attaching an external monitor to the VGA port and I get absolutely nothing on it.

I’m open to other troubleshooting steps, but I work with several iLive systems so sooner or later I’m going to need the above SBC info even if not for this surface.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

1) Based on the attached document I found in another thread, there appear to have been three different SBCs used in the T series. I believe I have the “Fujitsu SBC – 004-111 – AE8214” in my surface. Would I have to replace it with the same SBC, or would any of the three models work?

any of the three will work, I guess

3) As far as I know these SBCs are no longer available from Allen & Heath

Did you ever asked?

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Update: based on posts I had seen I didn’t think the SBCs were still available. But Full Compass finally got back to me and my SBC is still available for a bit over $1200.

I’d still like to know if anyone knows the commercial part numbers for these SBCs, as they still don’t look exclusive to Allen & Heath to me.

Profile photo of Kevin-Kinchin
    Kevin-Kinchin
    Participant

Hi there,
    When the cmos battery goes flat you end up with a white screen on boot up. If you have changed the back up battery you will still have just a white screen at boot up. The touch screen computer has reverted back to its factory setting. You have to reset the screen resolution and the VGA output port by entering the bios mode of the computer at boot up. I had to do this to my own T-112 and T-80 after the touchscreen just stayed white.

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Hi Kevin:
    Thanks for posting this info. I also Have a T-112 and T-80. Do you have any documentation explaining how to get in to BIOS mode on the T series?

-thanks, Mark

Profile photo of Kevin-Kinchin
    Kevin-Kinchin
    Participant

Hi Mark,

First you need to connect up an external monitor and also a USB keyboard to select the various settings once you get into the BIOS.

Power up your desk and hold down the DELETE key, there are different instructions to follow depending on the type of SBC you have. I will attempt to attach the instructions here but if that doesn’t work I will have to email them to you. You will see the instructions are for the factory guys to set up a brand new SBC out of the box, so some of the steps will not be required as you have an installed device already. Let me know how you get on.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of 2PhatCC
    2PhatCC
    Participant

Pretty sure my SBC died today. Did you ever find the factory part number? I’m looking at the piece and am struggling to believe this is really a $1200 part.

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

So when you buy a part from Allen & Heath, a good bit of what you are paying for is system integration and quality control. If you are up to doing some work to save money, hopefully the following will help you.

I ended up purchasing a new-old-stock SBC for my iLive, so I can give you the following system information for it. Note that even the Allen & Heath SBC isn’t guaranteed plug-and-play: The one I got was originally purchased for a T-80, but the wiring (I think the power supply) wouldn’t directly fit (this isn’t the same SBC he had in his T-80), so he ended up going a different route on his repair.

The SBC is made by Advantech. This is the info on the label:

• PCM-9362
    • Atom N450, 3.5″ SBC,VGA
    • ,LVDS,2 LAN, Mini PCIe,5V
    • P/N: PCM-9362NC-S6A1E Rev: A1
    • MO: KEH4119PA V1.11

Not surprisingly, these no longer seem to be available from Advantech, but you can likely find used or maybe new-old-stock models somewhere online.

Note that I believe the above is only for the motherboard. In addition, you will need suitable memory (mine has a 1GB DDR2 800 SODIMM installed) and a CF card with the OS to act as a “hard drive.” I have not researched whether drive images can be found online. (I have been told that T-112 and T-80 use different images, so mine came with both.)

I’m attaching images of the box label and the SBC. Let us know if you have success creating your own replacement.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Alan
    Alan
    Participant

Just a note that we had blank touch screen and were able to revive it by replacing he CR2032 battery on the computer board in the mixer. Ours was the Fujitsu variety and is now working fine without having to reset the BIOS settings. Old battery was only putting out .8 volts new one 3.6 so that was definitely the issue. Adapter for keyboard to go into the ancient PS2 plug would not have fit in the case, so I am glad I did not have to go through that process and pull the PC board out of the mixer case.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.