Feedback loop with multitrack recording QU24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Feedback loop with multitrack recording QU24

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DHOYT DHOYT 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DHOYT
    DHOYT
    Participant

I hope someone might be able to answer this tonight!

Earlier today I set up the QU24 for the first time. I ran sound check and had all FOH, monitor mixes and EFX mixes all set up. The I muted everything and hooked up a new hard drive to test the multitrack USB recording. I assigned all of the inputs, 16 altogether, to the first 16 inputs but I left 17 and 18 set to post L and Post R. After formatting the drive I put it into re3cording mode and it seemed like it was picking up ambient noise from the stage, which I assumed was because the inputs were set to insert and I believe that is pre-mute.

Anyway, I wanted to check the levels with the mics all unmuted. When I unmuted everything I had a horrendous feedback loop. Not regular feedback, but an internal feedback loop. The restaurant has just opened and people were having dinner. After several attempts to unmute the board with the recording mode still going, the owner basically came over and told me to shut it down. I have to go back and play a show in an hour and I’m freaked, because I’m still not sure what I did wrong. Does it have something to do with 17 & 18 being patched to Post L and Post R? That was the default setting so I assumed it was OK. Without having the room to myself to try a few things out I guess I’m just going to run the show without recording it, but I hope that I don;t have the same problem not being in recording mode.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, pleases end them my way.
    Thanks,
    David

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Sent you a pm. Not sure on this since I don’t do any recording with a QU. First thing is check that ST3 is not up. I think the LR returns back through it. Check other ST inputs. I don’t have a drive to test it with. Hopefully someone else can reply with some experience.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Any inputs selected as usb?

How did the night pan out?

Profile photo of DHOYT
    DHOYT
    Participant

Thank you for your responses.

I decided not to use the multitrack last night and the show went great. I love the new desk and just need to get used to getting to where I need quickly without thinking about it too much. Basically, just keep practicing.

After the show, I tried to recreate the problem but wasn’t able to. The only change I made was to change 17 & 18 to Pre L and Pre R. I didn’t get the feedback loop and it seemed to work fine. Because this is just a hobby band and we only play a few times each month, I’ll need to wait until the next event to experiment more.

Thanks for the help,
    David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.