External effects again

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions External effects again

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robb
    Robb
    Participant

Hi I am new to digital mixers have just bought a QU16 today. I have a terrible sinking feeling after checking out connecting external effects units eg TC Helicon reverb to the mixer. Is it not possible to connect this unit via what ever send and returns sockets are used on the mixer (I’ve no idea which these may be) so that the reverb is available for at least 3 mics plugged into 3 separate channels. If this can’t be done I’m taking it back to the shop for a refund. The on board reverb effects are not a patch on the TC Helicon.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The QU series does not have send and return on the inputs like an analog board. The only way to use external effects is to send a channel to a mix, then loop the mix output with a cable to a different channel input. Sorry.

Profile photo of Robb
    Robb
    Participant

Sorry Gary no idea how to do what you said I thought the mix outputs could be used

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Robb

AFAIK you have to send the signal out SOME exit on the QU and then apply your external processing then return to SOME input on the QU.

EG send the signal out a mix and then back into one of the channel inputs using a phono plug not xlr.

Depending what else you are doing you may have problems of not enough ins/outs to do that.

What you could also do is use one of the f/x from the library. That works easy and the manual shows you how to do that.
    You then do NOT need the Helicon at all.

I would personally sell that Helicon and use the verbs from the library.
    Digital is so much easier cheaper better than analog that I have totally switched over.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Robb, you can use any of the Mix outs from the Qu to feed your TC unit (probably one of the stereo Mix outs like 5/6, 7/8 or 9/10). Simply assign any channel you like to your chosen Mix out. As was suggested you can then connect the TC unit’s output to any line-level input on the console (I’d recommend ST 1 or ST 2). The fader for that return channel of your choice can then be brought up to add any amount of the effect to the Main mix. NOTE – make sure that whichever channel you choose for your effects return channel is NOT assigned to the Mix output that is feeding the effects unit.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Exactly as Airickess described.

It is the exact same concept as connecting an external FX unit to an analog board.
    Have you ever done that?
    Set the mix/aux out that will feed the the TC to post fade.

FX units, reverb, delay are normally driven from a mix/aux out operating in parallel to the channels routed to them.

Channel inserts or group inserts would normally be used for compressors, gates “dynamic processing” operation in series with the channel or group.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Mike C, thanks for clarifying. I skipped over the part in the OP that they wanted it for up to 3 vocal mics. Using a mix in post fader mode, out to reverb unit and back into a stereo input (ST1,ST2) is the way to go.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

One thing with a digital board and using an external FX processor is that you will have a bit of extra latency on the effect due to D to A and A to D input output conversions. A couple milliseconds is not a big deal on a reverb effect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.