dante for Sennheiser 6000 mic ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions dante for Sennheiser 6000 mic ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Question, what would be the advantage of buying a Dante card for your SQ5 if you only connect a Dante wireless microphone receiver to it?

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

The advantage would be that you stay on digital level with the two microphone channels and avoid 2 conversions (DA + AD).
    But the downside, it would be quite expensive for something that maybe no one might hear. )
    But it’s not unlikely that you’ll use the Dante card also for other things in the future.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

will it also help somewhat in floor noise ratio? I always have a little floor noise that no one else hears, but I do hear a little 🙂 It’s not a big deal, but every little bit helps 🙂

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> will it also help somewhat in floor noise ratio?
    It is quite possible that nuances will be improved because the detour via analogue transmission is no longer necessary.

> … but every little bit helps
    I guess it depends on what you actually want to do with it.
    It’s certainly not a normal microphone operation at a live event, but something very special.
    If no one but you really hears it, it’s questionable whether it’s worth it.
    But you could buy the card, try it (also measure it) and return the card if necessary.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

thank you, my 2nd question about Dante, use of Dante, do you also bypass your preamps in the mixer? because this is also digital? and if so, which preamp do you use that is in the receiver of the microphone? If so, does that give me an advantage? in sound quality time ? This is because I always hear a tiny bit of noise on my microphone, if I can improve that by working with Dante then that is an advantage 🙂

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

thank you, my 2nd question about Dante, use of Dante, do you also bypass your preamps in the mixer? because this is also digital? and if so, which preamp do you use that is in the receiver of the microphone? If so, does that give me an advantage? in sound quality time ? This is because I always hear a tiny bit of noise on my microphone, if I can improve that by working with Dante then that is an advantage

Yes, using any of the I/O cards (including the Dante card) will bypass the console’s preamp. This might be good or bad. It’s good because as SQuser mentioned, it keeps the signal all digital and prevents an unneeded DA and AD conversion. However it can be bad because you have to rely on the preamp of the Dante device you are using. This means you can’t simply plug in a wired microphone into the Dante network by itself. You need some sort of Dante device which includes a preamp built into it. Depending on the quality of the Dante device you are using, that built in preamp might be better or worse than the console’s preamp. I wouldn’t worry about this when you are using quality gear like the Sennheiser 6000 wireless system, but “cheap” devices might be inexpensive due to cutting corners on things like the preamps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.