Controlling EQ by knobs inf FX Slots

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Controlling EQ by knobs inf FX Slots

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Smalldevel
    Smalldevel
    Participant

Hi Folks,

yesterday i just want to controll the FX PEQ Settings by the EQ knobs, but nothing changend in this FX EQ when turning the knobs. ITs only possible to control the EQ by touch screen. The changes by knobs does only affect the selected “unvissible” channel anywhere. Thats not good, or perhabs a small bug. Please fix it.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @smalldevel ,

The dedicated PEQ controls on the surface of the SQ will always control the currently selected channel, no matter which screen you are viewing.
    The PEQ that you see in the FX screen is tied to the RackFX unit, but is the same PEQ as you see on the FX Return channels when using them in ‘Mix->Return’ mode.
    So when using FX in ‘Mix->Return’ mode, just select the FX Return channel to enable control of the PEQ with the dedicated surface controls.

Hope this helps 🙂
    Keith.

Profile photo of Smalldevel
    Smalldevel
    Participant

Good Morning,

sorry for my posts. I would check the manual first next time. But for me the “worklflow” in this cases isn’t very usefull and i cannot undestand that this schould be the correct way… It can’t be. Where is the profit for that stupid handling? I need the display or parameters for setting an EQ. Why i schould see a FX Return EQ on display and change a channel EQ without any feedback or parameters in the background by Encoders. PLease tell me. Maybe there is one situation on 1000, but all the other 999 situations, you use the encoders to setting the displayed EQ, like the overall workflow on the desk.

Please tell me the thinking about this therm.

Thanks for the good support

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

you have no idea what you are talking about

How did you select the FX?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@smalldevel ,

The reason behind this behaviour, along with that of many features in the SQ, is down to ‘logic rules’ (the best way I can think of to describe them) which we set and follow to avoid any unwelcome surprises when using our consoles.
    These ensure there is consistency across not just firmware revisions, but also when moving between different ranges.

The rule which we are following here is that all dedicated controls affect the currently selected channel.
    (note that the Avantis was the first console to break the ‘one channel selected at one time’ rule due to having two independent screens for dual operation)

The screen is only one method of controlling (and viewing) parameters, and the touchscreen rotary will always only affect what you have selected and can see on-screen.
    All other controls can be used when any screen is selected, have no ties to what is being viewed on screen and illuminate to show what could be adjusted when a specific channel is selected.
    Therefore the dedicated controls, including for the PEQ, have a stronger hierarchical tie to the selected channel than they do to what is being viewed on-screen.

So there is no bug or anything missing here and the way it works currently is logical, especially to all previous users of A&H products.
    You are incorrect that ‘you use the encoders to setting the displayed EQ, like the overall workflow on the desk’ as, for example, you can adjust the PEQ when viewing the Gate – but to view the Gate on screen, you have to select the channel first.
    Also worth noting that you cannot ‘select’ an FX unit for control as it is not a channel, only either the FX send or return. If you select the return, you can see the FX unit in the processing screen and adjust the PEQ with the surface controls.

If you would like this behaviour to be different though (and it could be changed but all aspects would need to be carefully considered), the best thing to do would be to add it to the SQ feature suggestions section of the community where it can be discussed and upvoted by other users if they like the idea.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

HI Folks!

I read this article while ago – an yesterday i turned the EQ knobs – wondering why the FX Return EQ isn’t responding….

BUT: I screwed up the EQ of my Vocals….. =(

Keith – i got the philosohy of the selectet Channel – BUT THIS BEHAVIOR IS NOT OK!
    when i pull the “PEQ” Button in the FX Window -> set the FX Return Channel to SELECT – an the “Problem” is solved…

dd

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

sorry… but this behavior is perfectly ok

the knobs handle the selected channel, always
    and that’s exactly how we would expect this

set your processing screen to follow the touched controls
    and your FX return EQ is coming to display if you change it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.