Considering QU 16 or 24. Please can someone in the know answer a few Qs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Considering QU 16 or 24. Please can someone in the know answer a few Qs

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Loch
    Loch
    Participant

Qu Qs

1- I would require play and record at the same time using the QU-drive.
    For example play channels 1-7 , from the qu-drive and record say channels 8 and 9 again on the QU-drive.

2- I need to be able to sync the qu drive to my sequencer. I understand the QU has no sync facility at all. – Is striping a track old school a possible? (Yes I know I could use a DAW but I really dont like computers.)

3- I hear the QU drive can record a max of 18 channels at once. May sound daft but thats for the QU16 thats got to be 16 right? 18 for QU24/32?

4- Can i output groups of channels to desk outputs. Ie select ch 1-8 to all go through output 1&2, 9-12 out of output 3 and so on?

4A – If the above is possible can i select many channels to same fader? so control many channels from one fader

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Quick answers are:

1 – No – DAW can though.
    2 – No – DAW can sort of though. (Oh)
    3 – 16 Chanels + L&R (or select something else)
    4 – If you mean the mix outs, then yes, or group outs on the 24
    4A – Yes, use the DCAs

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

1- I would require play and record at the same time using the QU-drive.
    For example play channels 1-7 , from the qu-drive and record say channels 8 and 9 again on the QU-drive.

NOTE:I only have the QU-24. I’m not sure if everything I say here also applies to the QU-16.

There are two USB plugs on the mixer and they each work differently.

The one on the top surface is called QU-Drive and can only record onto a formatted USB thumb drive or hard drive. It can record 18 tracks (your choice of channels). The software player can playback the 18 tracks which are permanently routed to the first 18 input channels. The player cannot record and playback at the same time, because once armed to record, it automatically arms all 18 channels simultaneously.

The USB on the rear panel is a Type B Streaming port. It is intended for streaming to and from a computer DAW. It can record and playback simultaneously (32 out / 30 in) as long as your DAW supports it. However, the playback channels cannot be patched/ re-routed. They are fixed sequentially. If you playback a stereo file, (such as an mp3) it will automatically bring it in through ST3.

2- I need to be able to sync the qu drive to my sequencer. I understand the QU has no sync facility at all. – Is striping a track old school a possible? (Yes I know I could use a DAW but I really dont like computers.)

I don’t believe QU-Drive supports that. The rear USB B port does support DAW control via MIDI, but I don’t know about a sequencer.

3- I hear the QU drive can record a max of 18 channels at once. May sound daft but thats for the QU16 thats got to be 16 right? 18 for QU24/32?

It can record 16 input channels plus any 2 of the output channels simultaneously. It can record any 18 input channels or combination of input and output channels on the 24 and 32.

4- Can i output groups of channels to desk outputs. Ie select ch 1-8 to all go through output 1&2, 9-12 out of output 3 and so on?

Yes. All of the Mix outputs are like aux sends. Any input channel can be sent to any output channel or combination of multiple output channels.

4A – If the above is possible can i select many channels to same fader? so control many channels from one fader

You can on the 24 and 32, but not the 16. These are called Groups and Matrices. However, the Mix outs do have master faders, if that’s what you mean.

Profile photo of Loch
    Loch
    Participant

Thank you both very much for your replies

Profile photo of Loch
    Loch
    Participant

Hmmmm, i wrote a reply thanking you both and it seems too have Vanished.

Many thanks for the informative replies.

Im not sure any of these modern day digital mixers will fit my needs sadly.

Is there any adat outs for the QU series? My researching revealed not.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

@gordon, the Qu16 does have four DCAs available. They can be assigned to the Custom Layer, making possible the request Loch had about using one fader for multiple channels.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

No adat out’s.

The QU16 has 12 mixes, the FX1-2 mixes can be routed to alt out …. But you lose mix->FX by doing that

The QU drive can take any combination of inputs 1-16, St1-3, FX returns 1-4, mix 1-10, fx mix 1,2, LR and LR pre…
    Pickup points are globally configurable for input channels.

DCAs are available on the 16, but are only available on the custom layer (or via iPad etc controls)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.