Channel Tracking in DAW

Forums Forums Other A&H products Channel Tracking in DAW

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Seth Seth 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

Hi, I recently purchased the Allen and Heahth Zedi-10 mixer. I wanted to use it because it can be used for tracking 4 mono channels at a time or 2 mono and stereo channels, which is what I needed.
    I installed the drive and set-up the settings in my Daw. The problem I’m running into is that the audio output is being sent to stereo input 2 and not 3. I can’t use on ST 1 or 2 to track my sampler because the audio gets mixed with all the other audio playing. I found a way to get the audio from my daw to ST 3 but then I’m limited to using only one input at a time. I saw another post on the form saying that Abelton automatically sends the audio to ST 1/2 and that if you which it to 3/4 you wont have this problem anymore so I did that but then I just had no audio. I really need some help here, I want to be able to record the stereo channels while having my audio running threw a separate channel.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@seth

The ZEDi-10 can send 4 channels to the computer as you say. The first two are always input channels M1 and M2, then the second can be switched between M3-M4, Aux-FX or L-R.
    To record from the stereo inputs, you would need to use either of the second two of these and as you’re talking about recording stereo channels, it’s much easier to use LR.
    However, as you have found, this will mean that anything being sent to the LR mix will be recorded.

There are a few options to record M1-M2 and your sampler though:
    1) Connect to inputs M1-M2-M3-M4 and record those channels
    2) Don’t send M1-M2 to the LR mix, but do send your stereo channel to the LR mix, then use your DAW to monitor all inputs, send the DAW output to ch3/4 = ST3 (the dedicated USB stereo return) and monitor the ST3 input on headphones and/or send phones output to the ZEDi-10 monitor RCA (i.e. don’t use the LR mix for monitoring)
    3) Don’t send M1-M2 to the LR mix, but do send your stereo channel to the LR mix, create your monitor mix using the aux sends (which are pre-fade) then select the aux on headphones and/or send phones output to the ZEDi-10 monitor output (i.e. don’t use the LR mix for monitoring)

As you can record a maximum of 4 channels, if you’re wanting to record things individually, I would suggest keeping it simple and treating the ZEDi-10 as a ‘normal’ interface and using option 1).
    The other options are really useful in other situations (using FX from a computer, streaming with a mix-minus, recording a live show) but you do have to think about what’s going where a lot more.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

Hey Keith, thanks for the response. It really helped me out.
    I’m using the mix knob to send the audio from the inputs to the mix and using the monitoring button so that the audio coming into the mixer doesn’t interfere with the recording.
    Appreciate the response and have a good day!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.