Can Inserts be bypassed for Aux Send ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Can Inserts be bypassed for Aux Send ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Riker
    Riker
    Participant

Hi,

I am looking at setting up AutoTune or Waves Tune as an Insert to a vocal mic input on my SQ-6. For example, Local socket input 3 has an SM58 connected to it, and the Insert has USB 3 for both Send and Return. In my connected laptop via USB port I would then put the tuning plugin on a track with Input 3 and set it to Output 3. This “should” tune the vocals in real time and the tuned vocals would come out of main L/R to PA system. But, I don’t want Tuned vocals to go to AUX 1 where my vocalist on stage has her/his mix, either floor wedge or IEM. Can I choose to send “non tuned” vocals to AUX 1 ? even with the Insert (USB port 3) active for the Mains ?

Another way I’ve seen it done is 2 channels for each vocal mic, one without tuning and the duplicate with tuning. the tuned channel is brought up in the main mix but the “raw” channel only goes to the AUX sends, not the main mix.

Thank you !
    Stephane

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Hi Stephane,

Change the pick-point for the aux mixes to “Post Preamp” and it will send the channels before the insert point, so you will get only dry vocals without the auto-tune effect on them.

Scott

Profile photo of Riker
    Riker
    Participant

Thank you so much Scott ! I will give that a try !
    Stephane

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Riker,
    I would be interested about “*real time* autotune”… does that work via USB? I have quite a latency when working with USB…

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Riker
    Riker
    Participant

Hi Tobi, I have not tried it yet but I am planning on it soon. In theory, with a low enough buffer it should work as long as there are not dozens of plugins etc.. I’ve seen a video on Youtube where this guy had 12 tracks, each with at least 2 or 3 plugins and the vocal tracks (3) had about 8 plugins each. He was using a Presonus studio live rack mount mixer / stage box connected via Firewire to a windows 10 laptop and ran the whole thing live during a church service. As long as the plugins are “zero latency” I think it should work just fine. Will post back once I’ve tried it 🙂
    Cheers

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

We did run a live session on latency which can be re-watched here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPXMSlW8aM
    It includes looking at issues that can be caused by latency and some round trip figures from testing both USB and option cards.

Regarding the original question, inserting autotune or other FX on a group would work. You could then send inputs to the group and the group to the main LR mix (with inputs NOT being sent directly to the LR mix), then send the inputs directly to the monitors. This way, there is no effect on the monitors, but you can include as much input channel processing as required with no latency issues, and the tuned signal (with latency) is the only thing going to the main LR.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.