Broadcast Features

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Broadcast Features

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JFug JFug 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JFug
    JFug
    Participant

We recently purchased several dLives for news broadcasts and other broadcast duties and I was wondering if we could get a couple features for that type of use.

A Way to get the headphones knob to control the PFL buss.

A DIM function for the PFL buss and a soft key option for it.

A way to label physical inputs and outputs and DX and IO card ins and outs.

A Softkey option to generate voltage on a GPO while pushing said soft key… (To fire effect units and DigiCarts)

Separate Direct Out Pick Points Per Channel

Moveable Insert Points (I’d like to use insert A Send as a separate direct out if needed but it would have to be post-PreAmp.)

A Mix Minus Option for busses… Either a Buss that can only have one channel routed to it and then it automatically makes it an Mix Minus or if it acts like a normal aux and just turns everything else on and to unity and turns a single channel off.
    Thanks for all you do!

dLive is an awesome platform!

Justin

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

Some good suggestions there but I thought I would add a few comments:

– The headphone knob is an analogue pot, it can only control the local headphones output. Have you had a look at the IEM fader strip for level control of a PAFL output? The name can be misleading, essentially this is a fader controlling the stereo, patchable IEM output, and fed by the PAFL bus.

– DIM function. I know some users patch PAFL back to an Input channel for ducking, or into a Matrix for summing with comms / shout lines. Maybe worth looking at.

– Labelling of DX and I/O Ports is scheduled for V1.9 firmware.

– GPIO – You can set a SoftKey to recall a Scene, and have this Scene filtered to recall GPIO settings only, for example altering a GPO output to trigger external machines.

– Post-preamps Direct Out / Insert send – you can use Tie Lines for this purpose. Patching input sockets directly to an I/O Port or other output, the signal is taken straight off the preamp (pre digital Trim and processing).

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

– Labelling of DX and I/O Ports is scheduled for V1.9 firmware.

but when is the release scheduled? 2 more years?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

As Rob Clark (managing director of A&H) mentioned back in December: maybe March or April this year.
    I don’t think we will ever get it more precise than something like this 🤷‍♂️

Profile photo of JFug
    JFug
    Participant

Hey Nikola!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I figured the headphone knob was analogue but it’s always worth asking. Now I know.

I’ve used the IEM PAFL fader before but prefer something away from all my other faders for monitor control. It’s just safer. I’ll keep the PAFL back into a matrix idea though. I’ve played with it a bit and it could be VERY useful.

Thank you SO MUCH for adding port names in the new firmware. That’s HUGE! Thanks for always listening snd making your products better and better!

I’ll look into your scene idea. I’m currently using embedded recall and have one scene turn a fader on and another turn it back off after .2 seconds. Works well enough but can crash or freeze the surface if done too many times in rapid succession. All in all, it’s not a huge deal. I’ll keep the scope for just GPIOs in mind though. That’s really sharp.

The one reason I don’t like using tielines for certain things is sometimes patching changes on the fly and direct outs hold the patching where as with a tie-line, I now have to go and re patch. This was less for broadcast and more for FOH/Mons/Streaming setups I do for churches. It’s a lot easier if only FOH has to keep track of patching.

As always, thanks for your expertise and time and the fact that AH is always making things better!

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

@a&h more news of an eta v1.9

Profile photo of syber_jedi
    syber_jedi
    Participant

Question about the GPIO workaround:

But first the why – We have a DSP for our mains that we want to have failovers for. Dante is primary transport but we want to be able to do AES3 an analog as backup. I finally got our GPIO’s we purchased a few years back tied into our system and set up to trigger the changes in our Q-Sys DSP.

I was a bit dismayed when I started trying to set up the triggers. I figured that it would be easy to set up a softkey to trigger a GPIO contact closure, but it is not. I ended up taking over 1 single channel and using select, mix, and mute as options, and then triggering those same functions via softkey. But this is not really ideal for us.

If we could trigger a GPIO with a softkey only, that would be amazing. I’m willing to try the filter scene recall but I am unsure how that would work.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

@JFug If you’re still looking for a headphone knob solution, you could get an IP1, IP6, or IP8 and assign one of the knobs (IP1/6) or faders (IP8) to control the level for the Stereo IEM bus.

Or, if you neither want nor need it to be integrated into the system and just want a 2nd volume knob with a dim button, there are several products on the market in the “Studio Monitor Management” category (at least I think that’s the general term).

Profile photo of JFug
    JFug
    Participant

Thanks Dave. Sadly I’m looking for something with the feel of a monitor controller. We ended up just buying an outboard monitor controller. It’s what worked for us but the IP1,8,or 6 would have been great. I was trying to stay away from faders on the console since that’s where all our channels are and I didn’t like the idea of having the audio control room speakers volume level next to a channel or something and I didn’t have space on the board to leave a couple dead faders to space it out. I currently have the PAFL bus outputting to the out oared controller. It works just fine.

Profile photo of JFug
    JFug
    Participant

Agreed about the GPIO Syber, I hope they can find a way to close a GPO on a soft key. I set up a way to do it with scenes, it’s a viable option and the only issue I’ve found is if you trigger the GPO (which is actually a scene recall) a ton of times all at once it’ll freeze and sometimes straight crash the surface. But the only way you’d run into that is by forcing this issue I’d think.
    A GPO contact closure would be great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.