Automation with Logic

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Automation with Logic

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

Hello everyone !
    Do you know where I could find a tutorial that explains how to configure Logic to record and replay my SQ’s faders movements?
    Attention I do not seek to control Logic with the SQ but to automate the SQ with Logic.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Fab
    Fab
    Participant

This tutorial says sq control logic, but it s actually a bi directional control, so your sq faders should be able to read
    an automation written from logic .

Profile photo of Fab
    Fab
    Participant

This tutorial says sq control logic, but it s actually a bi directional control, so your sq faders should be able to read
    an automation written from logic .

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

Thanks Fab, on these videos, the SQ faders control those of Logic, and vice versa. To do this, you must assign each SQ fader to a “MIDI” channel in the “Strip Assign” menu. But no sound goes through a MIDI channel, I would like to control the “Input” channels to mix in the desk.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@tutu13

If you just want to record and playback the NRPN messages which control the SQ itself, it’s fairly straightforward:

• Make sure you have a MIDI connection to Logic, this can be over USB-B or via a network using the A&H MIDI Control app set to use ‘MIDI Thru’ (https://www.allen-heath.com/midi-control/)
    • Add an external MIDI track. Don’t ‘use external instrument’ plugin thingy.
    • Set the input port for the MIDI track to come from the SQ.
    • Set the output port to ‘Off’ for now.
    • Make sure the track is set to record, then hit record to record fader movements, panning and mutes. This can be at the same time as recording or just playing back audio from other tracks.

For playback,

• Set the output port as the output going to the SQ.
    • Press play!

The reason for not setting the output to go to the SQ whilst recording is because you will create a MIDI feedback loop, where both Logic and the SQ will be monitoring (sending) the MIDI they’re receiving.

If you want to start editing the MIDI you’ve recorded, then check out the SQ MIDI Protocol document, which explains all the types of MIDI messages the SQ sends and responds to.
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-MIDI-Protocol-Issue4.pdf

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

oh, here’s an interesting lead, I’ll dive into it. Thanks Keith!!

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

Yes Keith, it works but there are many manipulations.
    My plan to be able to edit a track volume by simply clicking points on my automation curve is compromised.
    The problem is that an SQ fader must be controlled via MIDI with 3 different parameters !!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@tutu13

An SQ NRPN message is a single message, but it is the same as 4 specific CC messages. So if you only have control over CC messages (rather than 14-bit NRPN) then it is tricky.

BUT
    That’s exactly what the ‘CC Translator’ option in the A&H MIDI Control app is for. This will translate the NRPN messages to/from CC messages that can be easily automated.
    Please refer to the help document here – https://www.allen-heath.com/content/uploads/2023/02/AH-MIDI-Control-V2.01-Help_Iss2.pdf
    The first page explains what’s going on, then there is more detail on the CC messages from pg6.

Hope this helps (if not, contact us directly through support.allen-heath.com),
    Keith.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.