AR2412 Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AR2412 Question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Are there any issues using the AR2412 with the QU16 and specifically, with sources/signals using phantom power. The AH cable reel is somewhat expensive. Any recommendations for an alternative brand that would not have issues with phantom power and distances up to 300 feet/100meters.
    Thanks!
    Mario

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Phantom power isn’t a function of the Cat5 – I’m using a Van Damme reel.

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Just to be clear. So your saying you can’t run Phantom power using Cat5 on the AR2412? How about on Cat5e? I’m using Cat5e on my ME1 now plugged directly into the QU and I’m able to get channel signals using phantom powered mics on my monitors.
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Phantom power is supplied from the AR box on a per-channel basis, the Cat cable only transfers digital audio data, no power.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have installations with both CAT5 and CAT6. Never had problems with either. Just did an install. Over 200′. Used CAT6 shielded. Stranded. Worked great. Each pair is individually shielded with overall shield. Got it from Rapco(Pro Co)/Horizon.

I use one of the AH Jack Reels with CAT6 with Ethercons for my mobil rig.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The cat5 just does Ethernet data (not IP based though), it doesn’t do power at all.

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Thanks guys but I’m still not getting my question answered. Specifically – Will CAT5e (not CAT5) that I have now work in regard to phantom power on the AR2412? Like this:

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The CAT cable regardless of 5, 5e or 6 has NOTHING to do with phantom power. That is done from the box. NO POE on the cable. Just data.

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Thanks! Sorry I wasn’t clear. I do understand that the phantom power itself is “supplied” from the box (or the mixer equipped with it). I just wanted to make sure that the type of cable used is not an issue. This leads me to another question. Is there an advantage using CAT6 or CAT6e over CAT5e?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Rejection of interference is the only possible difference (assuming sane runs) it’s just a 100Mbit Ethernet signal – either it all works, or none of it does…

Mine is cat5e iirc.

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Thanks everyone!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For What its worth

I just use plain ordinary cat6E 50 metre runs of which I buy from a local tech store. all moulded polugs on the ends. Cheap $50 for a 50 meter run.
    I have sets simply taped together. one has 3 runs and the other 2.
    So I can configure either 3 QUs… or 2 with a laptoip to moinitor guy for text talk back or printer.
    Also built in fast reduntancy!
    Just treat the cable like the word *precious* from lord of the rings.
    The cheapest multiucore I have ever had to carry around.
    On saying that I always carry and leave in the van or truck an anologue snake.
    However I noticed lately I have changed that system and carry spares of other QU stuff now.

so.. QUESTION to myself: if I only had just the one QU system “would I buy an expensive multi cat 5e wire” ?

mmm na I would probably buy another cheap cat 6E.

And I do tape the little ends of the cat5 or 6 cable before dragging tham along the ground 🙂

Since this is tagged as QU AR2412 General Discussion

I would like to see the ability to be able to use 2 X AR2412 on a QU32 though RATHER THAN a AR2408 and an AB1608 and have a few redundant sockets.

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Thanks dhak!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Cheap will work, but cheap cable is often solid core – and if one of those cores should accidentally snap (which happens if they are repeatedly rolled/unrolled) then you’re out of luck.
    Stranded is good for the additional flexibility (in a touring set-up, in a studio it probably doesn’t matter)

I *have* bought an expensive wire (£150 for 50m on a decent reel) – but I hire the kit out as well, and so the look is important. The ethercon shells are frighteningly expensive, but I’m considering using a whole pile of them in one venue.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Detractors
    Its good to know all of the options
    If starting are in a band and can not afford the $500 good cables its a great option until the band is established.
    Get 2 of them. One for redunancy.
    The cat6e are sheilded.
    Never kink them and they will last a while until you really sort out what you want from life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.