AR2412 Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AR2412 Question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not intending to detract, but to point out the potential pitfalls.

With an analogue multicore you tend to lose a channel at a time, and can work around that – with digital it’s all or nothing.

My backup is to put the mixer on stage and mix from iPad(s)

Of course the other failure mode from an analogue multicore is a hernia…

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

I’ve been using the Behringer NCAT5E-50M for about a year now and been working fine,made with Neutrik etherFLEX Cat 5e cable, Neutrik etherCON connectors on both ends and on a reel. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NCAT5E50M?adpos=1o1&creative=54989267161&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CKHY6LW0isgCFcERHwodHjsL7g

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I use the same one as Bear. A little research on my part revealed that this reel is not made by Behringer – it is the same reel that A&H advertises on their website under Qu Accessories and the same reel that is featured for the Midas consoles. It’s made by a company called Schill out of Germany. The price on the Sweetwater site linked in Bear’s post was the best I found for the reel.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant
    Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I got a Cat5 from a stall in the market, about 5 years ago (different desk, same function). 30m cable with moulded RJ45 both ends for about £12. My intention was to leave it as an “install” in a venue I that did a lot of work in. Of course, the venue closed down almost immediately, but I got my cable back and still often use it quite often if its the length I want, and have buried it in a field a few times. So, I may have just got lucky, but you don’t need to spend silly money. However, I’d never take only one length of cable with me…..

Writing this, of course, means that the cable will now break at tonight’s gig 🙁

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – the market cable will work.
    Stranded cable is less likely to break than solid core.
    Tour grade covers are more resistant to being pulled.
    For a few thousand pounds of gear I don’t think buying a cable designed for the job is silly money – but it is more than is needed in some/many cases

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – the market cable will work.
    Stranded cable is less likely to break than solid core.
    Tour grade covers are more resistant to being pulled.
    For a few thousand pounds of gear I don’t think buying a cable designed for the job is silly money – but it is more than is needed in some/many cases

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes .. great. thanks for the instant research to the links.
    I’li eventually geta couple.
    Ive just used the local tech store for mine as I said earlier.
    and I have a couple more 30 metre black 6e of which i always run at least 2 lengths.
    And in some jobs I always run an 8 way analogue for various talk back and other things.
    My bigger jobs I have needed for 3 desks to 3 ARs’ and also silent talk back via computer texting
    So have run 5 lengths of cat cable.
    Its hard to justify buying 5 lengths of the expensive on reel stuff.
    However I will… one day
    I guess if you are doing small shows every single day in out yes a necessity to have the reel mode!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

A supplier I use has custom multi cores for their jobs. Mains, data and analogue audio in one pipe. Expensive, but if you’re touring then they’re worth it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok sounds good,
    can you give me a link to them?

what is ‘out of spec’ ?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Out of spec is out of specification…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hybrid cables are available from Sommer Cable or Klotz, for example.
    one meter is about 50m low cost Cat5… 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

SFL run 4(8?) Cat5, 16A(*2?) mains, 8 analogue lines – with custom connectors. It’s ferociously expensive, but massively convenient for a tour or a daily put in – which is what they often do…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

SFL showed me that system last time I visited. Lovely, but cost more than my entire PA setup! I believe the Hybrid cable was made specially for them to their own design.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – it was custom made, but it is frighteningly expensive.
    There is a thread on another forum (I can’t remember where) where they discuss the specs and solicit other possible users.

For them it’s worth it, for me, not so much…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.