Allow multitrack playback / recording simultaneously

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ feature suggestions Allow multitrack playback / recording simultaneously

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of epiphoneedge epiphoneedge 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rtme
    rtme
    Participant

Just got the CQ12T, what an excellent little machine, I love the UI and it works really flawless. Sounds great too!

To make it even better I have a feature request: I’d like to play and record tracks simultaneously with the SD multitrack recorder. So I can, for instance, playback drums and bass on track 1 and 2 and record guitar / vocals on track 3 and 4.

Simultaneous record and playback is already possible with the USB stereo player / recorder, it would be ace to allow this in multitrack mode too.

Profile photo of seanech
    seanech
    Participant

+1

I currently have a zoom livetrak L12 and was considering an upgrade to the L20 when I learned of the CQ18. The recording features of the CQ line of mixers could use some attention/love/expansion to compete with the livetrak line.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

In fairness the Zooms are primarily recorders with mixing ability and the CQ are mixers with recording ability!
    For live work the CQ wins hands down imho – I think that’s A&H’s target audience too?

Profile photo of seanech
    seanech
    Participant

I disagree with your assessment of Zoom Livetrak models as being primarily recorders; for example, inputs to the mixer channels are not assignable to recording tracks other than to that which corresponds to the input number (input 1 is always mixer channel 1, mixer channel 1 is always recording track 1, etc), and it doesn’t support bouncing of tracks, etc.

The model lineup of the CQ series almost corresponds one to one with the Livetrak series:
    CQ-12T -> L-12
    CQ-18T -> L-20
    CQ-20B -> L-20R

Profile photo of Clebs
    Clebs
    Participant

+1
    Also agree playback while recording would be a great feature.

I’m thinking replacing an analog mixer for live/rehearsal usage and a Zoom R24 for multitrack recording. An all in one numeric mixer with record capability would be fine.

For live/rehearsal CQ12t/CQ18t seems to be a winner choice.

For recording, playing black while recording lacks in the CQs.

We usually record instruments in a first step multitrack recording session. Then we use the recorded tracks as backing tracks to record choirs and lyrics in a second multitrack recording session.

I know this can be achieved using CQs as audio interface with a daw software but not the easiest way.

Profile photo of epiphoneedge
    epiphoneedge
    Participant

I would love this feature. I just sold my Tascam Model 24, as i needed more aux sends, so i guess it was time to go digital. I LOVE just plugging in and hitting record for whatever idea i have, without the hassle of turning on my computer, making sure my interface is set, etc. Its so much better, just power up, hit record and go. Then go to another track and add a melody, or a bass line, or whatever. Come back and listen to it later, add a new idea. I would really like this feature for the SD card.

Profile photo of Spyros
    Spyros
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

This would be nice but I’m not sure if it’s possible with the SD card.
    Since my unit is on backorder, can someone please tell me if it’s possible to playback a backtrack whilst recording at all?

For instance: backtrack from USB stick/thumbdrive or SD card whilst multitrack recording (including the backtrack) to computer via USB B?
    Or even: playback of a stereochannel via USB B whilst recording the show in multitrack (again, including the backtrack) via USB?

Would be cool!

Profile photo of rtme
    rtme
    Participant

if it’s possible to playback a backtrack whilst recording at all?

Yes, but only with the stereo USB recorder / player, not with SD. (Not yet)

backtrack from USB stick/thumbdrive or SD card whilst multitrack recording (including the backtrack) to computer via USB B?

Yes, this is possible.

Or even: playback of a stereochannel via USB B whilst recording the show in multitrack (again, including the backtrack) via USB?

Yes, this is possible.

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

Awesome, thanks!

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Just to confirm, it isn’t possible to playback from the USB thumb drive and record multitrack via the SD card simultaneously due to both mediums sharing the same internal hardware.

I found this out at the CQ’s second show, and after a chat with Keith, he confirmed the above.

🙂

Profile photo of Lostape
    Lostape
    Participant

I’d like this feature, too. Record, then playback and record additional tracks. My L20 does this but I don’t want to have two mixers.

Profile photo of Mike63200
    Mike63200
    Participant

i’d like to get this feature too. L12 and L20 have very handy functions that should inspire A&H dev.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I am not sure if this request is just a case of a firmware update, but more of a hardware limitation.

Profile photo of Snrubel
    Snrubel
    Participant

If it’s possible with the current hardware to playback and record, even if the recording is simply Main L/R that would be great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.