Again: Question regarding latency

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Again: Question regarding latency

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi,
    I am just trying to use the SQ as “inserts” in my Cubase channels. With this post you find screenshots of ASIO-Settings and “External Effect”.

What you can see:
    ASIO Input Latency is 2.833ms, Output Latency is 2.5ms. ASIO-Guard can be ignored — it has no effect here, see documentation from Steinberg.

But when I create an Effect using input channel 1, then Cubase measures a latency of 12.67 ms between in and out. Why?? I would have expected something around 5ms?

In SQ the settings are: USB-Mode “USB B”, 48k, USB Inputs 1:1 patched to Inputs, USB Outputs 1:1 patched to Direct outs with “Post Compressor”.

Anyone has an idea?

Best Regards,
    Tobias

PS: I also tested “Tie Lines”, which of course would not help because “no processing”… But: Latency is exactly the same…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Tobias,

The reported latency in the ASIO driver is the latency of the driver itself, which changes to show the difference with the various sample rate and buffer settings.

There are many other factors in the total round trip latency including SQ hardware and computer processing and buffers.

So a figure between 10-20ms for total round trip when using the USB interface is normal.

When wanting to insert plugins for live use, lower latencies are possible using Dante with a hardware/PCIe interface, or Waves with a server.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    thanks for a “Sunday answer” 🙂

What I understand: Latency for ASIO/USB can be written as: “ASIO-Buffers” + 0.7ms + X

… wheryby X is for “USB-Hardware-Buffers” either on SQ or on PC side.

I also understand, that “X” could be eliminated or at least significantly reduced by using a Ethernet Protocol like Dante or Waves. And I am bold: A SLink-ASIO-Driver would also work? Wouldn’t that be great to just connect an SLink port to a dedicated Ethernet port of the PC and be done? 🙂

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@tobi

An A&H protocol ‘virtual soundcard’ would be wonderful, though as I understand it (from those far far cleverer than I) – incredibly difficult.

There would also still be some latency added by this however, as there is with DVS and SoundGrid options.

I ran some tests on this to check out the relative differences, the results of which you can see here – https://youtu.be/LjPXMSlW8aM?t=2295
    Whilst DVS is not in that table, with the lowest stable buffer on DVS, it came out between SoundGrid and USB.

There’s also a really cool SQ + Dante + Dante PCIe + Live Professor setup from Dylan which is worth checking out here – https://youtu.be/lEq_B5Vhw4I

Cheers!
    Keith.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.