Midi control of recording

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Midi control of recording

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of caseymglass caseymglass 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

Does the midi spec allow one to trigger USB record from an external device with a Midi Record or other transport message? I don’t have a handy midi interface but I would like to automate the recording from a Mac with an applescript but I can’t tell if this is possible from the midi spec.

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Hi Casey,

The current MIDI spec doesn’t allow for this, but I have added it to the request list for consideration in future firmware. It would be helpful if you could describe your application and need for this feature in some more detail. Thanks for your input.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

caseymglass
    Participant

Sure!

I am the tech director for a small church and like many we like to use the USB record function to record our sermons. We also have trouble with volunteer techs that are forgetful and fail to start the recording on time.

It is pretty easy on a Mac to write an applescript that could trigger the recording with a midi (or TCP/IP) message and that script could be triggered at certain times. Also many of the presentation software packages on the market will send Midi messages, and so we can trigger the recording to start when a certain slide is fired (an event which happens much more reliably).

I would suggest that when the console receives a “record” message that it will start recording with the default filename that it usually generates.

It would also be nice if the recording function could be assigned to a softkey so it is always at hand.

Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

A softkey for start/stop record would be very useful….

Eg.
    Press softkey – recording starts and button lights up
    Press softkey again – recording stops and button goes back to unlit

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

As long as it had an option to not stop the recording on the second button press.

“OH **** wrong softkey!” [:)]

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant
    caseymglass
    Participant

Yeah I got the idea from some of Mike’s old posts. Good stuff there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.