Recording with Dante/Soundgrid

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Recording with Dante/Soundgrid

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BobWitte BobWitte 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23801
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    Hello, my name is Ygor, im from Brazil.

    I wonder if I can record 64 channels with Dante or SoundGrid in Pro Tools. I’ve tried recording in Pro Tools but I only got 32 channels.

    I do not know if I did something wrong, if someone can explain to me I appreciate.

    Thank you.

    #34126
    Profile photo of toneheads
    toneheads
    Participant

    hi

    this is a Protools Limit, try an other DAW like Reaper or Nuendo or Cubase.
    there are no limts in channel counts on these systems.

    cheers

    #34131
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

    Hi Ygor,

    If you really want to stick with Pro Tools, then you should consider upgrading to an HD version. PT HD 10 recognizes all the 64 Dante I/O.

    See here:
    http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/Features#Compare

    #34133
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by nicola

    Hi Ygor,

    If you really want to stick with Pro Tools, then you should consider upgrading to an HD version. PT HD 10 recognizes all the 64 Dante I/O.

    See here:
    http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/Features#Compare


    I did some recordings of 64 channels in Reaper, but I’d really like to continue with Pro Tools, it is the PT 10 HD is really true I sure will do the update. Someone here confirm this information? Someone managed to record 64 channels with Dante? With the PT 10 HD is also possival make Virtual SC with 64 channels?

    Thank you.

    #34137
    Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

    You can’t upgrade from Pro Tools 10 to 10HD.
    Pro Tools 10HD is only when you buy a Pro Tools HD system like HD Native / HDX incl with a Avid convertor… Really frustrating…

    T112 – iDR48 – Dante – v1.9

    #34138
    Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

    You can get around having to buy HD hardware by purchasing (while they are still selling it–it is being discontinued with PT11) the Complete Production Toolkit ($1999). This basically gives you the software features of HD without buying HD hardware. In your specific case will bump your track count to 256.

    If you go this route you will also be eligible to upgrade to PT11HD ($599) without hardware since the CPTK is being discontinued by Avid.

    If you are going to do this I would hurry as PT11 is about to be released. I would also call Avid and confirm that if you buy the CPTK this late in the game that you will be eligible for the PT11HD upgrade offer. Avid likes to put “eligibility windows” around when they will honor the upgrades.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=827248&Q=&is=REG&A=details

    #34139
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by jgrooms

    You can get around having to buy HD hardware by purchasing (while they are still selling it–it is being discontinued with PT11) the Complete Production Toolkit ($1999). This basically gives you the software features of HD without buying HD hardware. In your specific case will bump your track count to 256.

    If you go this route you will also be eligible to upgrade to PT11HD ($599) without hardware since the CPTK is being discontinued by Avid.

    If you are going to do this I would hurry as PT11 is about to be released. I would also call Avid and confirm that if you buy the CPTK this late in the game that you will be eligible for the PT11HD upgrade offer. Avid likes to put “eligibility windows” around when they will honor the upgrades.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=827248&Q=&is=REG&A=details


    Buy the PT 10 HD or 11 would not be a problem for my boss, but I wonder if it really works …

    Someone here has already tested it? Really work?

    Cheers.

    #34140
    Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by muguun

    quote:


    Originally posted by jgrooms

    You can get around having to buy HD hardware by purchasing (while they are still selling it–it is being discontinued with PT11) the Complete Production Toolkit ($1999). This basically gives you the software features of HD without buying HD hardware. In your specific case will bump your track count to 256.

    If you go this route you will also be eligible to upgrade to PT11HD ($599) without hardware since the CPTK is being discontinued by Avid.

    If you are going to do this I would hurry as PT11 is about to be released. I would also call Avid and confirm that if you buy the CPTK this late in the game that you will be eligible for the PT11HD upgrade offer. Avid likes to put “eligibility windows” around when they will honor the upgrades.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=827248&Q=&is=REG&A=details


    Buy the PT 10 HD or 11 would not be a problem for my boss, but I wonder if it really works …

    Someone here has already tested it? Really work?

    Cheers.


    Yes, assuming your hardware is sufficient to record that many tracks at once, it should work fine.

    #34143
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    I’m asking because once talking with Avid reseller in Brazil, he said that the maximum channel to Dante in the PT is 32. Because they want people to use the D-Shows, Profile, your own products with the PT. Therefore the limitation of 32 channels.

    In theory it seems to work perfectly …. but in practice may not be so.

    So I want to know if someone actually managed to record more than 32 channels with Dante or Waves SG.

    #34144
    Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

    I already recorded 48 Channels with Dante and with the Waves Card – so Dante or Soundgrid is NOT the Limit.

    #34160
    Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

    I’m a pro tools user, and while I’ve not confirmed it, I think your dealer is right. The only way to get more than 32 channels of I/O in any version of pro tools is to use HD hardware and software. And to get Dante into a format that HD hardware uses would be expensive (not counting the already expensive HD hardware) and possibly problematic. So I record into reaper then import the audio files into pro tools for mixing.

    However I’ve never actually tested it. And I do have the CPTK. I guess I should just to see what happens. There was a bug in early pro tools mp that allowed for more channels than it was suppose to. One possible bright point is pro tools 11. I’ve not seen it mentioned that HD11 will be limited to 32 channels, but I’ve not seen it confirmed to have more than 32. Current thinking is it will still be limited at 32. But they’ve also released a new S3L live console rig that can record 64 channels via Ethernet AVB into pro tools 11. So here’s to hoping avid throws us a 64 channel bone in pt11.

    T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

    #34162
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by CMattE

    I’m a pro tools user, and while I’ve not confirmed it, I think your dealer is right. The only way to get more than 32 channels of I/O in any version of pro tools is to use HD hardware and software. And to get Dante into a format that HD hardware uses would be expensive (not counting the already expensive HD hardware) and possibly problematic. So I record into reaper then import the audio files into pro tools for mixing.

    However I’ve never actually tested it. And I do have the CPTK. I guess I should just to see what happens. There was a bug in early pro tools mp that allowed for more channels than it was suppose to. One possible bright point is pro tools 11. I’ve not seen it mentioned that HD11 will be limited to 32 channels, but I’ve not seen it confirmed to have more than 32. Current thinking is it will still be limited at 32. But they’ve also released a new S3L live console rig that can record 64 channels via Ethernet AVB into pro tools 11. So here’s to hoping avid throws us a 64 channel bone in pt11.

    T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.


    All this because I have an iLive, use it for concerts, but wanted to use it in my studio to record and mix when I’m not doing shows. 32 channels for recording is ok, but 32 channels to mix then is little. Why not use this wonderful table to record and mix CDs? hahaha She has EQ, Comp, Comp parallel Efx … has it all! And being able to use Plugins in Pro Tools.

    Sorry for bad English.

    Thank you.

    #34169
    Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

    I will test it with an Pro Tools 10 HD iLok, but I don’t think the 32channels in/out limit will be fixed.

    T112 – iDR48 – Dante – v1.9

    #34185
    Profile photo of muguun
    muguun
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by BerndVP

    I will test it with an Pro Tools 10 HD iLok, but I don’t think the 32channels in/out limit will be fixed.

    T112 – iDR48 – Dante – v1.9


    Let me know if it worked!

    #34332
    Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

    Hi,

    Even with a Pro Tools HD iLok you are limited to 32in/32out.

    The only way I see, 2x Focusrite RedNet 5 and a Pro Tools HD, HD Native (Thunderbolt) or HDX system would work….
    But thats then a really high price you will pay… Stupid limit of Pro Tools….

    T112 – iDR48 – Dante – v1.9

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.