USB recorder

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions USB recorder

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Koopdaddy Koopdaddy 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

Please, put some visual referrals (a meter, the name of the channelstrip connected..) and a dedicated PFL directly on its control screen!
    Yesterday I assisted at a wonderful show and I was sure the recording was working fine.
    Today I discovered that I recorded a 1:40 hours of silence [:(]

Surely, that was my fault, it’s not the first time I use the recording function, but hey! it’s just headache to understand everything is correct.

thank you, regards.
    Massimo

Profile photo of Mike-Mullin
    Mike-Mullin
    Participant

I’d like to ask for USB recognition of folders. This way various
    music files, recording files, and test audio files are not all piled
    together.
    Also will the USB interface bus power a proper
    harddrive ?
    Is there a limit to the size of the drive the USB interface
    will recognize ?
    Thanks.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Mike,

We did include basic folder support for:

Playback – USB_KEY_ROOT/AllenHeathGLD/USBPlayback
    Record – USB_KEY_ROOT/AllenHeathGLD/USBRecord
    All – USB_KEY_ROOT/

But I do understand the full folder request.

Out of interest, do you therefore anticipate needing to use GB of Audio files ? I’d be interested to get feedback on how much audio people need to use.

I thought to keep it quicker and simpler to navigate, users might put a smaller collection of MP3’s for use with the current show on a USB Key, instead of having to navigate up and down complex tree hierarchies of Audio every time they wanted to play something.

To answer the power question I’m pretty sure its 500mA per connector, so it depends on the external hard disk. Some externals use more power than this and typically come with a Y shape lead, so they can use power from more than 1 connector. But you should be fine with a USB 2.0 external which draws 500mA.

Size limit will be defined by filesystem type. Note the GLD only works with FAT, as almost all USB Keys come by default with FAT filesystems.

Fat has several sub variants, and the maximum size depends on which type you’re using:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

For record, we recommend no more than 3 hours per track.

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bucks

Out of interest, do you therefore anticipate needing to use GB of Audio files ? I’d be interested to get feedback on how much audio people need to use.

I thought to keep it quicker and simpler to navigate, users might put a smaller collection of MP3’s for use with the current show on a USB Key, instead of having to navigate up and down complex tree hierarchies of Audio every time they wanted to play something.

Personally I have a 8 GB pendrive always with me and it’s enough, both for playing and recording.
    Talking about playing, I’m with you Andy, when you say “keep quick and simple”, but without folder support, you have all the mp3s mixed up in the alphabetic order, regardless of subfolders.It’s not that simple..
    My best view of this facility is try to implement a “virtual cd player”, where I choose an album (a subfolder or a playlist) and then playing it from beginning to end, also with the possibility to repeat or shuffle the whole album. Nowadays I already can do it with a ripped cd on a single flac or wav file, but I loose the single track control.

my 2 cents.
    Massimo

quote:

Hi Mike,

We did include basic folder support for:

Playback – USB_KEY_ROOT/AllenHeathGLD/USBPlayback
    Record – USB_KEY_ROOT/AllenHeathGLD/USBRecord
    All – USB_KEY_ROOT/

But I do understand the full folder request.

Andy
    A&H

Having support for multiple files would be nice. At my show last night I needed to do walking music, show music and exit music. I had to rename all the files to get them in the correct order. Had I been able to have folders I would have already been there and it would have saved a lot of time.

Profile photo of Mike-Mullin
    Mike-Mullin
    Participant

Thanks for your insight Andy.
    The size of drives supported was just to see what’s possible.
    Having the USB ports recognize folders would be helpful
    in many situations I think. If its doable I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback.

Ill add this to the feature request list, and we’ll have a bit of a head scratch and see what can be done!

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

To answer the power question I’m pretty sure its 500mA per connector, so it depends on the external hard disk.

Recently I bought this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160799814335#ht_2384wt_1163

and it works like a charm on the second usb port of my GLD [:D]
    just to let you know.

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

PLS support wolud be handy as well…
    or something similiar

One can configure the order for playback without reorganizing everything in subfolders

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of Koopdaddy
    Koopdaddy
    Participant

It would also be handy to simply plug in an ipod to the usb port for playback since I already have all my music tracks on that. Is this possible?

Best case scenario leave the control of the device with the ipod and the USB is simply a pass through for playback.

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Koopdaddy

Best case scenario leave the control of the device with the ipod and the USB is simply a pass through for playback.

?
    you just need this :)
    https://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ

regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of Koopdaddy
    Koopdaddy
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by byondo

quote:

Originally posted by Koopdaddy

?
    you just need this :)
    https://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ

regards
    Massimo

I have one, I was just curious if it would plug in directly via usb.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.