Dante maximum ethernet cable length

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante maximum ethernet cable length

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pealsound
    pealsound
    Participant

How far can my computer be from the Dante card. ACE will do 100m but can Dante work that far as well? I do outside broadcast recording. I’d be parked outside in the OB van doing a live stereo mix with a T-Series surface and the IDR48 would be on stage. Naturally, I’d prefer to have the laptop with me in the van. Possible?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

if you get a mediaconverter to optical you can go 4km with one cable.
    Is that enough to your van?

e.i. NW TP-Link MC200CM Konverter 1000Base-SX-SC -> 1000Base-T
    58€

Optical cable is a lot cheaper than Cat5e-cable, so for long distances defintely worth checking out.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Pealsound

100m CAT5e is the maximum wired length, as wouter said if you change to fiber the length is increased.

here is a link to some info from the Audinate website.
    https://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=256:dantevirtualsoundcardfaq&catid=31:general&Itemid=272#What%20are%20some%20uses%20for%20Dante%20Virtual%20Soundcard?

Regards
    Sam A&H

pealsound
    Participant

The optical is a nice idea but I was thinking of using cat5 ethernet.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by pealsound

The optical is a nice idea but I was thinking of using cat5 ethernet.

100m is the maximum distance between each node in the network. If you use a router or a switch or a hub, you can immediately double the distance, but the network latency will slightly increase. Won’t be a problem for recording however.

Wouter

pealsound
    Participant

Thanks to you both

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Pearlsound jump on the Fibre thing you won’t regret it, been using a couple of fibre equipped gigabit switches for around 4 years now they have been great, just make sure they don’t get too hot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.