Noisy DCAs

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 13 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theWhiplash
    theWhiplash
    Participant

Anyone else have noisy DCAs? 2 of mine (which I believe were replaced two months ago T80/IDR32 system) are passing what seems almost like pink noise (although only from about 6K to 10K). Muting the channel outputs assigned to them does not change the amount of noise when I mute/unmute the DCAs. It does not have the audible noise level on every scene though as I am using them on the other band/solo artist as well.
    The only thing I have not tried yet is starting a new scene from scratch. This is puzzling to me.

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The DCA’s cant be noisy because they don’t have audio.
    I guuess it’s something programmed accidently in a scene,
    maybe a external input to a group or aux patched to a unused mic input and the preamp is turned up to +50dB?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

theWhiplash
    Participant

thats exactly what I am thinking and it is driving me nuts cause I can’t find anything. I am beginning to think the starting over thing is my only option.
    Is there a way to perform a hard reset on the IDR without sending it to A&H?

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of Joe90
    Joe90
    Participant

Install the latest 1.81 Firmware, that should get you back to the start…

I aggree with the other post that something is accidently assigned to the DCA. This caught me out not so long back, have you selected the mix button on the offending DCA and checked all the I/P’s, MIX’s and FX’s to 100% make sure nothing un-wanted is assigned?

Gary.

iDR-32
    Motion Computing LE1700
    iPad – sometime soon

Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by theWhiplash

Anyone else have noisy DCAs? 2 of mine (which I believe were replaced two months ago T80/IDR32 system) are passing what seems almost like pink noise (although only from about 6K to 10K). Muting the channel outputs assigned to them does not change the amount of noise when I mute/unmute the DCAs. It does not have the audible noise level on every scene though as I am using them on the other band/solo artist as well.
    The only thing I have not tried yet is starting a new scene from scratch. This is puzzling to me.

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

You don’t have band passed noise assigned in the signal generator do you? [;)]

P.S. Where are you hearing the noise? LR, Bus’s, Aux’s, PAFL’ing the DCS’s etc. Might narrow it down. Maybe you could post a show file and some one could see if it’s a repeatable issue. (Provided it was tried with no inputs to the rack and possibly even no surface) That would in theory tell if it was hardware related.

Scott

iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Check your DCA assignments in the Routing window – it’s easier to see what is assigned and easier to toggle channels on/off to fault find. Check assignments on all tabs and toggle them off/on. hopefully you will find the source of the noise.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

theWhiplash
    Participant

yep it was assignment stuff…I had Inputs assigned that were still set to nominal level on the fader position–but I had changed the preamp without un-assigning and without taking them out of the DCA. So basically it was an un-assigned channel with nothing coming out but noise.
    I’M STILL LEARNING THIS SYSTEM!! Thanks you guys for your continued help!

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Had a similiar issue some time ago, then I made update my “head-firmware” by reading the manual and the issue were gone by next time using the system. [:D]

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16

theWhiplash
    Participant

We bought the system used and the manual was lost during shipping (which included damage to the T80–thanks FedEx). I am all good now, was just odd that they remained assigned when I changed headamp assignments.

Matthew Grunden
    Big Daddy Weave
    FOH/PM

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

I have had that happen to me before so I created a blank scene with all the routing etc(store all) that would take me to a known point and start from there. I use to recycle scenes but, had a few issues so I always start with the blank one now.

The mini manual that comes with the console is good for getting started after that you need the full manuals which are only downloadable in pdf format. You should download them on your laptop so you have them for reference. I went to the trouble of printing them out for our church so that others could reference them if needed.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.