Connecting DBX AFS 2 to QU-16 connected to AB 168

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Connecting DBX AFS 2 to QU-16 connected to AB 168

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peesca Peesca 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peesca
    Peesca
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m sorry having to ask this but being a real newbee I would really need some help. Having read many posts I know that not all of you are positive to using automatic feedback supressors but I really don’t want to get into that discussion since it has already been discussed in depth in other posts.
    First of all my configuration is a QU-16 connected to a AB168 with 30 meter dSnake and I usually connect only a Sennheiser e945 and two Mackie Thump 12 to the AB168. What I would like to know is how I should make the routing in the QU-16 so that I can have the DBX AFS 2 next to me and not on stage. I guess I should have to send the signal out through one of the mix outputs and then back in but I’m not being able to see how to do this. If someone please could help me by giving step by step instructions it would very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Peter

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Out of L&R, back in to ST2
    Route ST2 to Mix9-10, and NOT to L&R
    Connect up mains to outputs assigned to Mix9&10

This leaves everything ‘as expected’ on the desk…

Profile photo of Peesca
    Peesca
    Participant

Ok, will try although using this configuration I would end up using the two channels of the DBX AFS 2 which would be ok with what I was actually asking for but if I would sometime use a monitor for the vocalist or maybe two microphones should I then replace out of L&R with two of the mix outputs 1-4 and then back in to two of the 16 line ins? I’m confused.

Thanks for your help.

regards

Peter

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Sorry – I was assuming you were running it against the main outputs rather…

You can run it on channels:
    Turn off the routing of Channel X to the L&R mix, and make it POST fader to another Mix.
    Take that mix ouptut through the DBX and back to another channel and route *that* to L&R

This makes the desk a little less intuitive, since you have two channels handling “the same” signal, but it should work.

You do end up eating alot of I/O doing this on a digital desk though…

Profile photo of Peesca
    Peesca
    Participant

No, you were right, when I’m only using one microphone the first answer will work but sometimes I do use a monitor or another microphone and then I’ll try the second option. I haven’t actually bought the DBX yet since I wanted to make sure that I could actually use it with the QU-16. About using up a lot of I/O I guess will not be a problem since I usually never need more than two mics and maybe an acoustic guitar or so. Thanks again for your help, I’ll order the DBX and start trying out how it works.
    Regards

Peter

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I know you do not want to discuss the if, but for such a tiny setup such a device looks like sort of overkill to me. Never used similar for decades and never had issues with feedback, which couldn’t be controlled conventionally.

Profile photo of Peesca
    Peesca
    Participant

Hi Andreas,
    I know you’re probably right but the problem is that the vocalist sings in front of a 20 man live orquestra (without mics) and many times I need to turn up his mic a lot with resulting feedback problems, and he actually uses in ears monitors. I just hope that this will help me ringing out the system and maybe help me in the live situation as well.
    As i said, I’m a newbee somewhat forced into this since my 16 year old son is studying to become a singer and often we found ourselves participating in concerts with poorly organized soundreinforcement. Since I’m the one in the family who likes to “play” with the gear, I’m more of a tech guy without “golden ears”, I’ve taken the roll as the sound guy with all the respect to the true audio engineers out there I just try to do my best and hope that the DBX will help me out. I have really read a lot about different ways to solve feedback problems and I believe that I know the basics about mics polar patterns, speaker placement, mic placement, correct gain structure etc and I’ve read about and tried pink noise, white noise, rta’s, geq’s, peq’s etc but there’s still feedback problems sometimes. Really, as I said, I don’t want to take the discussion but thanks for taking interest in my problem.

Regards

Peter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.