WiFi Range with iPad

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions WiFi Range with iPad

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DanS
    DanS
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have been using a Zyxel access point (WAP3205 v2) with my QU-24 recently after getting annoyed with the Acer AP that required setting up each time I plugged it in. I have found that audiences with phones in their pockets and the generally crowded WiFi band can cause a lot of issues and significantly reduce the range of the iPad.
    At one recent festival, in the morning when only a handfull of people about, during soundcheck I could go a fair distance away and still have a reliable connection. As soon as a crowd built up, I had difficulty connecting meters from the front of the stage!

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this before and found any way of increasing range? May I need a new AP with a higher output power?

I am using an iPad 2 so is it time for an upgrade?

Thanks,

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Yep, an Ipad 2 doesn’t “do” 5gHz which has become more and more important with all the (2.4 gHz) phones around.

I’m using iPads that “do” 5 gHz and either an airport express or an airport extreme and rarely have connection issues. Others have reported great results with various other routers, but all 5 gHz…

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I haven’t found this to be the case. Although I mainly use my iPad Pro at shows with my QU PAC and my QU16 on 5GHz, I am also able to use my old Ipad2 on 5GHz too. This happens on occasion if I need to use a second iPad at a show and it has been very reliable in that regard. YMMV

I am also using an Apple Airport Express

Profile photo of DanS
    DanS
    Participant

I think I amy have a look for an Airport Extreme. There are a few cheap ones on eBay.
    Hopefully that might be a quick fix before getting a new iPad.

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I have 2 Airport Express routers that I take to each show (1a s back up) and I get great results. They can be had for $50 reconditioned directly from Apple. They come with a full year warranty too. I used to use a Linksys E2500 but I would get connection issues once in a while. When I started using the AE about 3 years ago, my issues went away.
    If I am in an area where I expect a lot of wifi traffic, I raise up the router using a boom mic stand on stage, connect to 5GHz and make sure to keep line of sight.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

My go to WIFI routers are either a TP Link Archer C7 or Netgear R7000.
    Both set for 5ghz only, hidden SSID, mixer set up with a static IP address.
    Get your router up to get a somewhat line of site path.

Profile photo of Mike M
    Mike M
    Participant

I use a Linksys router and iPad mini with both my QU16/24 boards.
    I have not experienced dropouts during my indoor applications…knock on wood..
    When I know that I will be mixing from a distance I too use a mic stand/mount for my router to keep it (somewhat) in line of site.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I used to use a high-end (expensive) business class access point and router, but the iPad didn’t like it for some reason and would often drop, even when reasonably close to the AP. I bought an Airport Extreme and I haven’t had a single drop since. The iPad stays connected even at outdoor shows at a pretty good distance (100′-150′) without issue.

Profile photo of DanS
    DanS
    Participant

I have since purchased a Airport Extreme and I have used it a few gigs and it has performed very well!
    Still life in the iPad 2 yet!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Profile photo of Abhi Beckert
    Abhi Beckert
    Participant

Sorry to bring up an old thread but it’s important to clear up that 5Ghz is very short range. 2.5Ghz is the only option with usable range for walking around a mid to large size venue.

If you’re having range problems there’s probably some equipment creating interference. A crowd of people with phones shouldn’t be a problem – cell networks use a different frequency. Try moving the wifi router away from the sound desk… also most of them have directional antennas – a good model will detail this in the manual.

The best wifi gear is Ubiquiti Uni-Fi range in my experience. They’re reasonably priced enterprise gear with models to suit every situation. Setup is reasonably easy despite being so advanced.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Don’t know if it really makes much of a difference, but set your router to not broadcast the SSID. Many phones with WiFi on, trying to connect, might be taking up some of the routers resources. Also make sure the channel is set to one away from others being used in the venue.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I get plenty of range using 5g indoors and out, 2.4g has too much traffic and too few channels that don’t overlap.

Just yesterday I was in a 4000 seat hockey arena and could go anywhere
    in the arena.
    Getting the router up to somewhat keep a line of path is key.

I also hide my SSID and do a WIFI scan to check to make sure I’m not on
    the same channel as one of the buildings networks.

Not sure what’s going to happen to the relatively open 5g band if all the talk
    of a nationwide 5g coverage plan actually happens.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.