USB input clipping

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions USB input clipping

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Aaronious
    Aaronious
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I’m not sure if this is normal but when streaming via USB B with both Mac and Windows, my input signal to the SQ7 clips badly. On Windows I’m able to turn down the volume of the output to around 40% to achieve a nominal input level on the mixer, however there is no options to turn down the volume on the output of the Mac. The only way to turn down output volume on Mac is on the program that’s playing audio like YouTube, VLC itself. It’s really frustrating not having a master output control on the Mac unless I’m using third-party plugins like Soundsource. Surely I’m missing something here as I thought the SQ was meant to work perfectly with Macbooks without the need for any additional drivers.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Aaronious

Check your trim setting in the preamp section of each input channel.

Trim is a part of the input channel processing and is therefore independent of channel source type.
    It may be that this has been inadvertently turned up, so by setting this at 0dB, you should find that a -18dBFS signal from the computer will come into the desk at around 0dB on the meters/channel.
    As your digital signal sounds like it may be much hotter than this though, you can also dial the trim back until it is sitting at around 0dB on the meters.

Hope this helps!
    Keith

Profile photo of Aaronious
    Aaronious
    Participant

Hi Keith,

The digital trim only works on local inputs and not USB B. When I change the Trim value on the screen, the gain on the channel also changes accordingly.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Aaronious

When a line or digital input is the source for an input channel there is no preamp to control and so the trim is shown in place of the gain knob on the channel strip.
    Preamp gain control has a red surround.
    Digital trim has a blue surround.

If this doesn’t explain what you’re seeing, please contact us using support.allen-heath.com and if possible include a quick video of the behaviour.

You can definitely use the USB-B connection to a Mac with no issue, so there must be something going on with the settings somewhere!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.