Transient controller modes

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Transient controller modes

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nathan
    Nathan
    Participant

Does anybody know what the two ‘modes’ on the transient controller plug-in do? Are they changing the detector settings maybe or something about how the gain is applied?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan,

Transient mode is designed for percussive, high transient material, with very fast, auto attack and release.
    Continuous is best suited for bass or guitars, but I suggest you experiment with the two modes and settings for best results.
    You can find some more info on the FX models here: https://ilivefx.allen-heath.com/transient.php?t=g

Profile photo of Nathan
    Nathan
    Participant

So it is just changing the settings of the detectors then. Thank you for your quick response. That was my inclination but wanted to confirm. May be worth adding that to the webpage as it just says ‘two optimised modes of operation’ which is beyond vague. Personally I was also confused about having a continuous mode on a transient designer.

Profile photo of KanarieVink
    KanarieVink
    Participant

Are there people happy with the transient fx ? I do have an original in my rack in the studio and the one in the dlive behaves completely different.

I was quite disappointed when I just had my dlive. So I left the transient controller untouched and removed it from the rack. Experimenting again, thinking I must have been doing things the wrong way but still unsatisfied with the result.

I can’t get it sounding “natural” and consistent. Is there some kind of secret to get ik working musically ? I tried lowering input, output. As soon as I touch attack or sustain it is immediately “too much”.

Are there people using them with succes ?

Thanks for the input

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

As soon as I apply attack or sustain, it is immediately “too much”.

The Hardware Transient Designer, the original, also had this phenomenon.
    I actually only use it for bass drums. Here I leave the attack untouched and only reduce the sustain control a little. This gives a nice, short punch without seeming too artificial.

Profile photo of KanarieVink
    KanarieVink
    Participant

Hey Wolfgang. Thanks for your input. I must say my hardware version is smooth. Maybe there are different versions?

It seems to work best on kick. Snare is immediately artificial indeed. Too bad. I like my desk a lot. But this could be better in my opinion.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

More than 20 years ago I bought an SPL Transient Designer and used it for many years – until digital consoles slowly became popular. Then I sold it.
    Even then, the control behaviour was too artificial, especially on the snare. That’s why I only used it on kick drums and toms. The attack control often remained untouched, I mainly work with the sustain control. But I didn’t really miss it afterwards, because it wasn’t really important for me.

When the tool was launched in the dLive, I was of course pleased and tried it out straight away. But as with the original, I had the feeling that it worked too hard even with small adjustments. Maybe it’s because my drummers always deliver a very clean signal. So I don’t have to adjust the dynamics as much until it works.
    With the bass drum, however, I almost always use the TD, as described above. I find that it can clean up the signal very nicely.

Of course, it always depends on the kind of music you produce – and it’s a matter of taste.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.