ST1 input | odd vocal-removal effect

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting ST1 input | odd vocal-removal effect

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Powderfingers
    Powderfingers
    Participant

When I play any music through ST1 on my QU-16 the vocals are completely removed as if there is a karaoke effect. It happens with any album I try to play. The music comes through normally, but vocals are gone. I can’t find any effect that could be causing it, and no effects are being used. What could I be overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Maybe one of the end of the L or R input cable is out of phase ?

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

There must be a phase inversion then sum going on somewhere. I expect your kick drum is losing depth too.
    Look for any channels which have the phase flipped which might be carrying the signal as well as ST1
    Check the wiring of your connecting lead.
    Don’t use some ipods/IPhones (especially early ones).
    Make sure the channel isn’t being routed to another bus/track/mix then back again to the LR outs.

Profile photo of Powderfingers
    Powderfingers
    Participant

Wow, you’re exactly right about the kick drum, as recording a kick is the only other thing that’s been problematic. It has been impossible to get any depth from the kick, whereas every other instrument and channel sound normal. The kick happens to be going into CH1 and the music player into ST1 (same fader strip).

Thank y’all for replying. I’ll report back after my next time with the mixer.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

How are you connecting to the ST1 inputs? Are you using a cable that breaks out a stereo 1/8 inch plug into two 1/4 inch mono (tip sleeve) plugs and plugging one into each of the ST1 inputs?

If you are using a 1/8 inch stereo (tip ring sleeve) plug adapted to a stereo 1/4 inch ( tip ring sleeve) plug that is the problem. The 1/4 inch inputs are set up for balanced line inputs, a stereo signal on a 1/4 inch TRS plug will have the left and right channels cancelled out due to the inversion on a balanced line input and that would sound like what you are hearing.

Another thing to check is that you do not assign any channel to group and have that channel assigned to left right mains at the same time the group is assigned to the left right mains. That will give you a “phasey” sound but not quite like you described.
    You don’t need to worry about that since your QU16 does not have groups.

Profile photo of quazimorphicz
    quazimorphicz
    Participant

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but wondering what the solve is from going from a desktop 1/8in into the board? I am currently having the same issue going from 1/8-1/4 stereo cable.

This board just got donated to our theater and I am way out of my league compared to our last mixer! Thanks for any help.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What works for me is a 1/8 stereo jack going into 2 1/4 mono jacks plugged into L and R from ST1.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but wondering what the solve is from going from a desktop 1/8in into the board? I am currently having the same issue going from 1/8-1/4 stereo cable.

You do not want to use a 1/8 stereo to a 1/4 stereo cable that will cause phase cancellation when plugged into a 1/4 “balanced line” audio input jack.

Like Giga said you want an 1/8 stereo cable that breaks out into two 1/4 mono plugs.
    Something like this……https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/cmp-150/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.