SQ6 + GX4816 and more inputs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ6 + GX4816 and more inputs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SPH1X
    SPH1X
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I use a SQ6 and the GX4816 is connected in the S-LINK mixer.
    Actually I need more inputs, less than 16 but near to me.
    Can you help please? What should I buy?

Thanks a lot.
    Laurent.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You already have 24 inputs on the back of the console.

Profile photo of SPH1X
    SPH1X
    Participant

Hi SteffenR,

Yes, but when I connect the GX4816, in the mixer, in the I/O screen,
    it disable the local inputs.

it’s as if I could no longer use the local inputs once the GX4816 is connected and configured.

Can you tell me if I’m setting wrong?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@SPH1X

Connecting an expander (or I/O Card) will not disable any other input or output sockets.
    It will simply add more input and output sockets to the system, which can then be used however you wish.
    What it will not do is change the number of input processing channels available. The SQ always has 48 of these, whether you have expanders connected or not.

Where you could be confused about ‘disabling the local inputs’ is that to patch all the available input sockets from the GX4816, you will be patching SLink inputs 1-48 to all input channels and overwrite the default local patching.

Personally I find it easiest to consider the input sockets, input channels and also channel strips on the surface as 3 separate things.
    The 48 input processing channels in the core can be sourced from any available input socket – local or remote analogue, or digital (USB or I/O cards)
    Input channel strips to control the processing and routing of these can then be placed in any position on any layer of the surface.

Hope this helps,
    Keith.

Profile photo of SPH1X
    SPH1X
    Participant

Ok Keith, thanks for your reply.

So if I understand correctly. Even if I add a 16/8, it won’t work,
    the SQ6 will remain at 48 inputs.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@SPH1X

Correct – There can be over 300 input sockets in an SQ system, but the number of input processing channels is always 48.
    You can sacrifice Groups to get some extra inputs to the mix and then use Group/Mix processing, but obviously this will eat into your available mix count instead.
    For more input channels, you’d need a ‘bigger’ (not necessarily physical size) mixer, like the Avantis (64 input processing channels) or a dLive (128 input processing channels)

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.