SQ Drive popping between songs on Stereo Playback

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ Drive popping between songs on Stereo Playback

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BBR BBR 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jroberts
    jroberts
    Participant

Hello everyone.

I am playing around with SQ Drive on my SQ6 and would like to use a USB drive to playback stereo tracks for preshow music. But I’m having a problem with it popping whenever a new song starts. It almost seems like its clipping for a second whenever it starts. I’ve tried lowering the volume of the tracks in Audition and even adding a Fade-in effect on the track to try and help solve this. But everything I’ve tried hasn’t worked.

I’m using .wav files that are 96kHz 24bit. To me it almost seems like it is doing it as it loads up the next song. Has anyone else run into this issue? I’ve searched all over this forum and haven’t really seen this specific issue come up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

I have had the same issue for long, sorry to say. Haven’t found a sollution. I gave it up, and accepted this behavior . The SQ is a state of the art live mixer, but not very well suited for playback stereo files via USB Drive. If I need flawless (stereo) files played back, I use the iPad that sits above the SQ, and is always hooked up to it via USB B.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For the sake of testing try a lower res wav file, like a 44k 16 or 48k 16.

Profile photo of jroberts
    jroberts
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried both 44k 16 and 48k 16 with no luck. It doesn’t happen every time at first, but it seems to do it more between songs as time goes on. I’ve also tried adding a gap to the beginning of the songs just to make sure it was the song that was clipping, but that didn’t help either. It seems to be an issue as it loads the next song.

My current “fix” was to just combine a bunch of songs into one .wav file to prevent popping between every song, but I have to imagine this is something that firmware could fix…

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H

Whats does A&H say?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

My understanding is that this might be related to the playback buffer, so if you’re skipping through songs or they don’t finish with silence, you may have a tiny ‘chunk’ of the noise still in the buffer that is then emptied when you start playing the next song.

It has been noted for investigation (thanks to Johan) so will be looked into and hopefully fixed/improved when we are next working in that area.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Fuaimeadoir
    Fuaimeadoir
    Participant

Does anyone know if there’s going to be a fix for this issue?

I’ve tried adding silence to the end of my stereo playback tracks but the problem still occurs.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

I have had this problem more or less constantly since upgrading from 1.4.4 to any 1.5.x versions.
    Not been too bothered though, as I use QLab for 99% of the time.

Tried to reverse the console to 1.4.4 and the problem was gone, so my bet is something bugs out in the 1.5.x sourcecode.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Fuaimeadoir
    Fuaimeadoir
    Participant

As a temporary fix I’ve turned on the gate with a 300ms attack – not perfect but better than nothing

Profile photo of BBR
    BBR
    Participant

Same issue for me… try different clock and format, it’s Always the same

I hope next version solve this!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.