Speaker Panning vs Headphone Panning

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Speaker Panning vs Headphone Panning

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

It’d be nice if we could set stereo auxes to be in a “headphone panning” mode for IEMs. Like, panning something all the way to the right would roll off the highs and slightly delay the signal going to the left output instead of just not routing signal to the left output.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Delay the left output? Really?

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

If I understand things correctly, yes, that’s how it works.

SteffenR
    Participant

No, if you delay one output of a stereo signal, the panning shifts to one side.

Or do you talk about crossfeed?
    That isn’t that simple. And contra productive in live sound monitoring.

But there are solutions available.
    And it’s very impressive.

https://www.klang.com/personal-monitoring-systems/

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

No, if you delay one output of a stereo signal, the panning shifts to one side.

Yes, exactly, that’s why I was suggesting it.

Like, if you’re sending guitar to stereo aux 1 for IEMs, panning it left would slightly delay and roll a bit of highs off of the guitar signal being routed to stereo aux 1R, and leave the guitar signal being routed to stereo aux 1L alone.

Is that the “crossfeed” thing you mentioned?

SteffenR
    Participant

Hmmm, I think you mixed things up.

The crossfeed is applied to the whole mix and mixes a bit of the left channel into the right channel and vice versa.

It is used in headphone preamps by SPL.

Phonitor 2

The other thing mentioned is usable already. Make use of two channels, both with the same input signal.
    You need to apply a short delay to one signal and mix it together with the other one and both need to be panned to opposite sides.

To do this with an output signal would shift the stereo image of the whole output channel to one side. I guess that’s not what you want.

SteffenR
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention, introducing delays to achieve panning could affect the mono compatibility and is destroying phase coherency.
    As always, the dose makes the poison.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m only interested in the context of stereo IEMs. Mono compatibility isn’t much of an issue there 😁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.