SLink over IP switch?

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions SLink over IP switch?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi. I’m excited cause I just ordered the Avantis and should be receiving it soon.

I’m sure the answer is “no” but just wanted to check. Is it possible to use SLink over a normal off-the-shelf IP switch? I have two rooms that don’t patch together. I was wanting to run 2 D-Link Ethernet powerline adapters to run the SLink from one room to the other. I’m almost certain it’d work over Dante however I prefer SLink cause I’m using a GX4816 that already has a ME port on it. Any advice or info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Profile photo of Keule
    Keule
    Participant

This is kind of complicated.

As I understood it (but not verified) is the new Slink Port a auto adapting port, wich switches between different Protocolls.
    The Old Protokol wich was used by GLD & QU are not TCP/IP Based. They are not possible to route over an switch, because of the missiong layers (layer 3 or 4) wich are necesarry for the routing within the Switch.

I think the newer protocolls of SQ and Avantis behaving the same, cause they are mainly made for simple point to point connections.

BUT:

The Avantis also supports the newer Protocolls of all the D-Live Stageboxes, the DX Boxes. And as I understood it, here is a Protocol used, wich ist based on TCP/IP. And the GX4816 is also capable to be used by this protocol.

But I’m not shure, how it would behave. There is a small chance, that it works. Please stand me corrected if not.

Savest Way is a direct connection, without the router. If you have a propper Houseinstallation, you should be able to just make a direkt connection on the patchfields.

The other possibility is Dante, and using a Dante Box or other Dante Hardware. Dante is a TCP/IP Protocol and qorks quit well.

Kind regards

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the use of a switch is possible
    as long as you have no other devices in the same network
    the SLink is a point to point connection based on standard Ethernet

but I guess the powerline will be a problem
    this will introduce latency that will cause problems and makes the link unreliable

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.