Left and Right Monitor Issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Left and Right Monitor Issue

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of James of the Order
    James of the Order
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I currently using reaper and I unable to hear isolated panned tracks in each monitor speaker.
    So When I pan a guitar hard left its still fully audible in my right hand monitor for an example.
    No issue with a cheapo roland interface, also done an online speaker test of the qu vs the roland rubix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

James

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

We need some more information….. Are you attempting to pan on the console or in Reaper? Are you outputting individual tracks to Reaper, or a stereo buss from the console?

There are two pans you have to consider. One on the console and one in Reaper.

James of the Order
    Participant

Good evening Brian,

Initially I was panning purely in reaper, and tried speakers in both Alt outs and main outs. left channel in reaper would sound both left and right. I have subsequently, taken channels 31/32 USB and used the Pan knob, 31 is hard panned left and 32 panned right. Music from internet speaker tests and tracks on reaper on left centre and right appear to play ball now.

I am hoping this is the correct way to do it on this desk. I can send some images tomorrow is this is not making sense.

Best regards

James

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe not quite following along here but…..
    The direct channel output via USB to the DAW will not reflect any panning done on the mixer.

If you are panning an input channel with the mixer in the main LR mix mode and monitoring with a pair of speakers connected to the main LR XLR outputs you should hear the panning taking place, as well as in the headphones as long as you do not have any channels in PFL.

ALT OUT has several patching options what did you have selected?

James of the Order
    Participant

Hi Gents,

For clarity I have gone back to main left and right outs now.
    On the attached Document, you will see I am using a left and right test programme
    second image shows I am using USB streaming.
    You will seen see images of my right channel.
    By repeating this on both sides, left/right and centre imaging is working well.

Advice very much welcomed.

Best regards

James

James of the Order
    Participant

Sorry my word doc not be added

Image 1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James of the Order
    Participant

For some reason I cannot add more images at the moment

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Even the attached image is too small to read. Increasing it’s size simply increases the blotchiness of the text making it impossible to read.

I’ll be honest, I am also having a hard time trying to follow your routing of audio. It sounds like you are taking the Main L&R output from the console and inputting it into the DAW.

Is each input channel on the console panned L&R? If you are sending a mono input channel to both the L&R output equally (which is usually the default way of doing things), then that input is being sent equally through both console outputs. Attempting to change the pan in the DAW isn’t going to change anything because the original input signal is in both the L&R input channel.

In a similar way, is the DAW input panned hard left and right? In other words, is the Main L output of the console being routed to just the L channel of the DAW or is it being sent to both the L&R channels of the DAW? Again, if the input channel of the DAW (the output from the console) not panned correctly, then you are going to get two identical channels in the DAW and you’ll have bleed (left channel is also in the right channel and vice versa).

So check your input channels/sources on both the console and the DAW and make sure they are panned the way you want.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.