Slink Not Connected

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Slink Not Connected

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Tom 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Hey everyone need some help solving this problem
    Have an Sq6 connected to an AR2412 and use the board Saturday night without problems. Turned the system on Sunday morning and notice no audio was coming in or going out the board. Observed the AR2412 notice only the power light is on. There is no light in the dlink port. Checked the i/o of the sq6 it said “Slink Not Connected”. Changed the Cat5e cable, still having the same problem no light in the dlink and SQ6 i/o saying “Slink Not Connected”.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

If rebooting the equipment (SQ as well as the AR box) doesn’t fix it, it sounds like a hardware problem. That being said, I’d try a very short Cat cable just to triple check it’s not a cabling issue.

Was everything left hooked up overnight? Was there any storms in your area overnight?

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Yes it was left hooked overnight but turned off. it is used at my church in Jamaica. I believe there was some lightning early in the morning. Thought it was that too however there is still power in the AR2412.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Did you replugged the CAT cables?

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Yes did that and still have the same problem.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Since everything stayed connected this is most likely not the issue but take a close look at the pins/contacts in the D Snake jacks in the 2412 and the SQ6 to make sure they are straight and not bent out of place.

By chance do you know of another SQ or QU mixer you could try the 2412 with as a test?

If it is a lighting issue the problem could be in the D Snake port on the SQ and not just at the 2412.

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Thanks Mike,
    Trying to get another D Snake to try with it in a couple of days. Will update you guys on the outcome.

Will check the pins as well to see. I know SQ6 will allow another Slink port however, can the DSnake port on the AR@$12 be replaced?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

After our church lost an X32 console (and a lot more) to a lightning strike, I now unplug all power and network cables (regular, Dante, and digital snakes) from the console every time I shut it down. It’s a small inconvenience to have to plug in the 3 or 4 different cables when I restart it, but I feel it greatly reduces the chance of damage from a power surge or nearby lightning strike.

I don’t have a lot of local analog I/O connected, but I don’t bother disconnecting those lines each time. I’ve never heard of anyone loosing gear through an analog line, but I am sure it could happen. I also don’t disconnect the digital snakes from the stage boxes. Honestly I never really thought about it until I am writing this post. So if you really wanted to be safe, you could disconnect all of that stuff too.

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Yea will be reviewing our shutdown procedures once we get everything back up

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Hi,
    if you have an ethernet switch with per-port indicator LEDs you can do a quick test:
    Connect SQ’s SLink port to the switch and see if the link LED comes up on the switch.
    If it is a gigabit switch, the SQ might show “DX” connected in the IO screen.
    Then try the same with the AR2412’s dSnake port and see if the link comes up on the switch.

PS: I once forgot the AR2412 has a power switch on the back until someone shut mine off. That’s obviously not the case here because you wrote the power light is on.

Good luck!

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

Thank you Tom

So here are some updates

I was able to borrow an AR2412 to test with the SQ6 to see if the AR2412 was the problem. However, I still had the same issue of it saying slink not connected.
    I then proceeded to try Tom’s suggestion and there was no connectivity from the SQ6 as well as my AR2412. When tried with the AR2412 I borrowed there was connectivity, So the conclusion is that both the slink and the dsnake port have been damaged.

Is it possible for these ports to be replaced? Where can I get replacement parts? Is there any video tutorial on how to replace them?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

These parts should get replaced at a qualified repair centre. But I don’t know if there is one near you. Contact your distributor for this information.

Profile photo of MEPCB
    MEPCB
    Participant

I would have to fly to another country to get to the closest one.

The attached photo is the dSanke part for the AR2412 can that part also be used for the SQ6?

Would it require soldering or are they plug-and-play?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

The pictured connector is used on a printed circuit boad so yes, soldering (and unsoldering) would be required.

D.

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Sorry to read that.
    I can’t imagine how only the connectors can be broken.
    At least some driver/interface ICs (SMD I think) are probably damaged in both devices.

SteffenR is right, your devices must be repaired by professional service.

Ethernet isolators + good surge protection can reduce the risk next time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.