Simple computer control

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Simple computer control

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of aaronsindc
    aaronsindc
    Participant

Newbie question here. We’re contemplating a qu-16 for our church. I’m wondering how to get some simple control of the mixer from a laptop computer (next to the mixer). The reason is that we often have someone who uses the laptop remotely, so the ability to do simple things like mute, control faders, etc., from the laptop would be super helpful.

I see the A&H MIDI control document here https://www.allen-heath.com/media/AH-MIDI-Control-V2.00-Help.pdf, so I think I can get the connection set up.

I just need some suggestions on what software you might recommend for simple control of the mixer. We don’t have a DAW right now. Of course, lower price (or free) options are ideal for us.

I’m pretty technically inclined, but DAW audio is new to me. So any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@aaronsindc

why not use the ipad and the AH ap aka QuPad to do what you think a DAW would do with midi

imho the ipad using QuPad would be faster cheaper better easier

Qu-Pad

https://itunes.apple.com/app/qu-pad/id699450314

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes the Qu Pad app is great I use it all the time.

I take it in your set up the person operating the computer
    also runs the audio?

You could do it with midi commands via wifi using the ethernet connection on the
    mixer.

There is third party software called Mix Station that will operate many digital mixers
    and they have a PC version available.
    I have never used it but it may be worth trying.

https://dev-core.org/mixing-station/#a-home

I you have not already you will need to get the mixer on the churches network or set
    up a dedicated network for it.

aaronsindc
    Participant

Thanks so much. Yes, I do plan to use Qu Pad app, which looks great. But I also wanted a way to control it from the PC, since that may be done even when on a remote desktop connection (i.e., when outside the building) where I presume the Pad app wouldn’t work (not on the same network).

The Mix Station software looks like it might be just the thing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks so much. Yes, I do plan to use Qu Pad app, which looks great. But I also wanted a way to control it from the PC, since that may be done even when on a remote desktop connection (i.e., when outside the building) where I presume the Pad app wouldn’t work (not on the same network).

The Mix Station software looks like it might be just the thing. Thanks for the suggestion!

You could put the mixer on the building network, check with the IT people about setting it up on static IP address, actually I always use a static IP address on a mixer even when on it’s own network.

Would you still be able to hear the sound system when outside the building?
    If your monitoring a live stream feed remember there is a delay in a live stream
    so any audio changes made could take maybe 20 seconds give or take to show up
    when listening to the live stream.

aaronsindc
    Participant

Thanks. Yes, the mixer output is getting sent to the laptop, so we can hear the output on the remote connection in real time.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@aaronsindc

but where does the final sound go to ?

is it live with an audience
    or is it streamed to a remote audience
    or is it for you to record locally
    or what

from my perspective and use cases controlling the Qu from the PC is backwards
    I would use the mixer to control what is sent to the PC instead of doing it from the PC screen

Our MD uses the IPad to control live sound in the nave as he can hear it better from where he is than where the Qu is located.
    But we control the mix going to the livestream PC from the balcony , where we are located, for morphing with the video , then tweaking , and sending on to utoob.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.