Running Guitar through CQ-18T

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Running Guitar through CQ-18T

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Smilzo Smilzo 5 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Welshwolf52
    Welshwolf52
    Participant

Hey all ,

New to the digital Mixing scene but so far impressed with the unit itself.

However I am having issues sending a guitar Signal through the unit and being
    able to monitor it.

My Guitar Rig is a Fractal Axe FXIII and I have a Laney 212FRFR Speaker Cab

I have tried direct out through the AXE and from the Laney but the sound through my
    in Ears and front of house for the guitar just sounds like a Bag of Angry wasp’s.

I created a quick Channel for the guitar and have had a quick look at the PEQ settings
    but that does not seem to make much if any difference.

Any ideas where I am going wrong ?

Cheers

Steve

Profile photo of Smilzo
    Smilzo
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    I run FM3, Axefx II and AX8 with no problem at all. How do you connect III, cabs on or off? I used quick channel, find a sound I like (almost linear) and fine tune. Autogain is on, axefx III can have LOTS of level even for line level.

Welshwolf52
    Participant

HI Smilzo,

I have the Cabs on. I have done a bit of tweeking but the sound still seems very Harsh and Bitty. It has surprised me how much
    the CQ is coloring/ processing the sound from the Axe. I am going to try running the line out from the FRFR Cab tomorrow
    and see if that makes a difference. I will let you know the outcome.

Profile photo of Smilzo
    Smilzo
    Participant

I imagine the CQ colour (if any) as “warm”, like a long good guitar cable. It is transparent like any other modern mixer (analog or stereo). Have you try different monitor/PA cabs? Have you try different in Ears? Plug (axefx phones out)>(in Ears), any differences in sounds? What cables/plugs do you use? You use CQ Phones out or Aux OUT? Maybe the problems is balanced out and stereo jack?

Welshwolf52
    Participant

Hi Smilzo,

Late response apologies busy with work 🙁

Ok so I got the guitar sounding better through the CQ unit, I reset the Channel and increased
    the gain on the channel the sound is much better still a little thin compared to running
    the in ears direct out of the AXE but much better. I guess it is still a learning curve
    here and some tweaking maybe needed but I think I am on the right path now.

Profile photo of Smilzo
    Smilzo
    Participant

I reset the Channel and increased the gain on the channel the sound is much better still a little thin compared to running the in ears direct out of the AXE but much better.

You had to choose your “reference” monitor/system, and tweak the Axefx and/or the CQ to sound and feel good for you.
    I start with a quick channels (I think keyboard?), brighten just a little (1 db I think, my monitor are warmer then average), done. The PA sound has to be eq-ed depending on venues/PA. Keep it separated, so you have YOUR reference sound in ears. 🙂
    If both PA & In ear sound too warm or too dark/boomy, it’s better to tweak directly your Axefx!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.