Reverb Feedback

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Reverb Feedback

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shane Shane 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant

Hi folks,

New here. I have just started having some issues when using reverb effects with feedback building and over loading the unit. Can anyone tell me why there seem to be a feedback loop happening here?

Cheers

Shane

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sounds like you have the reverb send level turned up on the same reverb return.
    Doing that would send the reverb output back into itself.

Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant

Hi Mike, Thank you for your input. This is where I am getting a tad confused as isn’t this how it meant to be set up, with sending some level to the reverb and returning some level back.
    Is there something I am missing here? Is there another level setting somewhere?

Really appreciate your input.

Cheers

Shane

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello Shane,

What Mike is referring to (And well pointed out) is the following:
    When sending a signal to an FX bus, you must have the FX bus Master UP (Preferably to unity), send your desired channel to the FX and then have the FX return channel being sent into the Main Mix at the desired level.
    The loop that could potentially be happening here is if you are placed on your FX bus and you raise the FX return of that FX bus, meaning that you would be sending the FX to the same FX.

If you are having trouble locating this, I would recommend doing a Hard Reset of the unit to ensure all settings go back to zero.
    Please be aware that this will bring all settings back to factory state, so you may want to back up your show file.
    Once the Hard Reset is done, test the unit before loading any showfiles back to ensure that the issue is gone.

Perform a Hard Reset:
    Hold the EQ ‘In’ and ‘HF’ keys when powering on the SQ. This will clear all mix settings and all saved data, including Shows/Scenes and Libraries, and will revert the SQ to its initial state.
    Kindly, back up your show file on a USB drive, as this procedure will erase all settings and bring back the unit to fabric settings.

Thank you,
    Rafael

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Select your FX return channels on what ever layer you have assigned, then select the FX send buttons one at a time, if you see any faders move up on the FX return channels turn them down. As a bit a safety de-select the FX sends from the FX returns.

To add FX to input channels select the layer/layers with the channels you want to add FX to, select the FX you want to add by selecting the FX button of the FX you want to apply, bring up the fader on the needed channels.

Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant

Hi Mike and Rafael,

Thank you so much for your input. I will spend some time with the desk over the next few weeks and try and get my head around this. Just seems weird that you would be able to send an effect back into itself. And in this case building to overload. Considering I was having a play with the desk with my guitar via DI and listening through headphones I knew there was no external influence going on.

Cheers

Shane

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It’s no different as when using an analog mixer and returning an FX unit back in to an input channel on the mixer, you would not turn up the aux on that channel is the FX send to the FX unit that is returning on that same channel.

The sends are there if you want to get creative and send one FX units output into the input of another FX unit.
    To be safe keep the FX sends turned down on the FX return channels and you can un-assign them as well on the FX returns

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello Shane,

The availability of doing this allows you to send the FX to a Mix, if your musicians want a bit of reverb on their monitor, for example.
    As FX’s are technically Aux buses and so are the Mixes, doing so means sending a bus into another bus, hence this being available on the mixer.
    But if not done carefully, you might end up sending the bus into the same bus and then creating a loop.

I hope this helps clarifying it!
    Cheers,
    Rafael

Profile photo of Shane
    Shane
    Participant

Hi Rafael,

Thats is a good way of looking at it. And makes a bit more sense in my head into what is actually happening.
    That has certainly clarified things.

I really appreciate you describing it in this way.

Cheers
    Shane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.