Recommendation?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Recommendation?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeradachs Jeradachs 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Singtall
    Singtall
    Participant

I currently own a SQ6 and I love it! but it really is overkill for many of the small clubs I’m working. All I really need is 16 channels of xlr plus two 1/4″ for a total of 18 channels. not sure which unit is best for me. I don’t mind mixing from an ipad the whole time if need be, but I do fear not being able to connect with just wifi and would probably have a pc hooked up as a backup just in case. which model do you suggest? or is the tone and features just too far from the SQ to consider it?

Profile photo of Jeradachs
    Jeradachs
    Participant

Hello Singtall

Easy answer it is the 18T.
    12T has not enough channels,
    20B has no PC connection parallel to Wifi with out workarround of an external router.

Olaf

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Respectfully, unless I’m missing something, I do believe the CQ-20B could also be a consideration. Like the 18T, the 20B has a wired LAN port. So, with the 18T or 20B you should be able to cable a PC/iPAD to the LAN port and use the appropriate control software over a wired Ethernet connection versus just Wi-Fi. Now, the 18T does have a built in control surface so that is the backups of all backups there. If you’re super paranoid about having access to a control surface if all networking is down then the 18T is a smart choice.

However, you mention needing 16 XLR and 2 x 1/4 inch. Depending on how concrete this requirement is, and how you define your 2 x 1/4 input need, the 20B may be your only option. The 18T has 2 x 1/4 inch inputs but it is a single stereo pair. The 20B has two 1/4 inch stereo pairs. If you truly need 16 XLR’s, AND two independent 1/4 inch inputs, the 20B is the only option for you.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Sell the SQ6 and get an SQ5? Perhaps that would allow you to have one console to rule them all……. Enough capacity for everything you are doing now, but a smaller form factor.

Outside of that, I think the CQ18 or CQ20 is the best bet. I personally would lean towards the CQ20, but that’s because I prefer having XLR outputs vs 1/4″ and I don’t think I would use the built in screen very much, so the form and price of the CQ20 is more attractive to me.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Hello mfuse

You think:

„So, with the 18T or 20B you should be able to cable a PC/iPAD to the LAN port and use the appropriate control software over a wired Ethernet connection versus just Wi-Fi“

Yes but not Ethernet and Wifi parallel.

So what happens when Wifi breaks down? You wire the PC via Ethernet Switch the toggle and go ehead,

But what if you habe a 20B? No screen no toggle mo ethernet.

I did not know when I ordered the 20B.

Olaf

Profile photo of BruceOrl
    BruceOrl
    Participant

Echo Brian’s answer. Have an CQ20 with no issues and I love the way it’s
    Built like a tank. As an old developer, I’m also impressed with the CQ App. I’m running it on a PC, an Android Tablet and a galaxy phone (just for giggles — such tiny screen estate!) with no crashes or glitches. Nice job. Look forward to seeing more features added in.

The independent Mixing Station app is also under development and in beta. I understand the beta program for android is not taking new members, but the PC version is downloadable. (This might have changed).

As for the wifi, well, forget all the hair-on-fire comments and aspersions. It’s wifi, and in a mission critical application, like a band gig or recording session, use a router @ 5ghz. I just bought an inexpensive TP-Link for this purpose, and I have a backup.

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Interesting point Olaf. I didn’t think about what would need to happen if you needed to switch over with no connectivity to the system. I guess two thoughts here:

1) The likelihood of wifi being totally broken is probably pretty low. It might be flaky and unreliable but chances are you’d be able to walk up next to the unit and get good enough connectivity to use the app to switch over to Ethernet

2) You could use an external router on the CQ-20. From there the CQ is always in cabled/Ethernet mode and no switching back and forth in the configuration to use Wired or Wifi. Inconvenient to have the extra device but maximum flexibility.

Ultimately, you’re right though. Having the touch screen interface is safer from a few fronts: a) it gives you a method of last resort to control the system b) it gives you touch screen access to the networking config.

Depending on Singtall’s channel requirements, a CQ-20 may be required. If not, the 18T might be the better fit.
    Thanks All

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

One more thing (I just thought of), about a network failsafe on the CQ20, would be to get comfortable with the reset process and have your show files backed up on USB (just in case). Reading through the manual, it should be possible to do a network only reset in a sequence that would allow you to fail from Wi-Fi to Ethernet without having access to the UI and without loosing access to the show config (as noted as a “yellow” network only reset). There is also a sequence to reset to generic wifi without loosing the show config.

So, in the end, this is sort of like having access to the UI from a network reset standpoint.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/CQ_User_Guide_V1_1_0_iss1.pdf (page 130)

Jeradachs
    Participant

Hello mfusa

Recieved my 20B yesterday.

First of all: for me, coming from the analog world, this digital unit is the first to satisfy my sound requirements at once. Well done A&H.

The reset button use is some how funny. I will check the weekend, if it also enables switching wifi/ethernet without networkconnection.

As I found out, that the description of the default network setting is wrong, so the automatical connection of ethernet did not work, and the IP adress was different.

After then using wifi I had acess to the unit.

So there is light and shade.

Olaf

Jeradachs
    Participant

Got the answer to my question:

The Reset procedure enables you to switch from wifi to Ethernet without using Software.

I will check.

Olaf

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.