QU16 – cunning idea for a subgroup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU16 – cunning idea for a subgroup

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rexy Rexy 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rexy
    Rexy
    Participant

Hi All,

been using the QU16 for over a year now.
    I have been wanting to use a subgroup for my vocals (so I can do common EQ/compression etc)
    As you know the QU16 doesn’t have subgroups just DCA’s.

I have been able to do it initially by using mix7/8 and sending that output back into ST2 (ie need to use a short analogue cable) Now this works but I really was wanting to NOT have an analogue bit in the middle.

An idea I have is using FX4 as a method, but this really requires using an effect plugin and only using the dry signal.
    I have set FX4 to be a mix return/input mix7/8

So what in the end I’m asking for is there an “effect” plugin that does nothing other than pass the signal through? unfortunately using the default empty rack doesn’t pass signal through.
    I have played around with settings on a basic reverb and dialling down parameters to get close to no reverb but it is not perfect. (more experimentation required)

Ideas?

Thanks

Rexy

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

You got me poking around wondering. Turns out you weren’t the first :>)
    Ruben about half way down the page..

Anyway, I’d also like to thank you! Interesting stuff!

Profile photo of Polish Prince
    Polish Prince
    Participant

That’s a great topic for the Next A&H Livestream. I bet there’s a way to do it.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Give me a couple days, I’ll fire up my QU16 and try a couple things.

Profile photo of Rexy
    Rexy
    Participant

Hi Mike C,

That would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to experiment 🙂
    It may help others.

Also thanks Polish P. Are A&H livestreams still happening?

Rexy

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Well I fired up my QU16 and the short answer is no.

I did not go through all the FX choices but checked quite a few in each FX type and none could be dialed back to not applying any FX while passing audio and none had the wet / dry FX mix control that almost all of the rack mounted outboard FX units had/have.

A blank FX “unit” that only passes audio and has the same routing options as the FX units do could be used a subgroup routing path…..unless that routing path would add too much latency to be used as subgroup.

Profile photo of Polish Prince
    Polish Prince
    Participant

Yeah.. The last one for QU was 4 months ago though. Just subscribe to them on YouTube and turn on notifications.

Profile photo of Rexy
    Rexy
    Participant

Thanks Mike C for trying. I still think its a good idea if A&H or someone can come up with a Null Fx plugin (and how to load it)
    and it meets your comments re latency etc etc.

So for now its my original idea using an analogue cable from mix7/8 out and back in to ST2. Oh well… that at least works.
    I apply any EQ/compression either on mix7/8 or ST2 (but not both 🙂 )
    Thanks Polish Prince, I will check if I am subscribed. I could have missed it…

Rexy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.