Qu to/from Dante

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu to/from Dante

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ahlund
    ahlund
    Participant

Hi.

I have a situation where I would like to recommend a Qu mixer. However a Dante option is required! Am I out of luck or??????

Regards,
    Åke

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

None of the Qu mixers can accomodate a Dante card, I wish they could.
    A GLD mixer does and works beautifully too.
    Dan

Profile photo of ahlund
    ahlund
    Participant

Yes, I know abut the GLD but it comes at an impossible price tag in this situation.

A 32×32 USB to Dante box would do the job but I have only found 2×2 converters. Another idea would be a USB to RAB-2 box with the possibility to use all the current networking cards 😉

The lack of an expansion slot in the Qu series is a pity. Several competitors has got it…

Regards,
    Åke

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Hi Åke

Perhaps you should check out Dante VIA software. Exposes any USB audio stream to a Dante network. Qu’s 32 ch USB interface could then be exposed to a Dante Network via your computers ethernet port.

Profile photo of ahlund
    ahlund
    Participant

Yes, Dane Via is an interesting technology and if it would have been possible to run in on it on a Raspberry Pi, using Rasbian, it would have been a very, very interesting option…

Apart from wishful thinking, I don’t think it’s possible to run Dante Via headless (without monitor, keyboard and mouse) without logging in to the computer (autostart when turning on the computer). This is would be what’s needed for a permanent install. Another problem is the fact that this system would be used maybe 5 – 10 hours a week, which would make a computer running 24/7 a big overkill (how do you turn on/off the computer without user intervention?).

Regards,
    Åke

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You have the user turn on the Amos… It’s only more more switch in the chain.

This jogged a question I had at an Infocom long ago no one at AandH was able or willing to answer:

Is there any way to manipulate the ME-U hub (with card options) and ME controller to drag a QU series mixer kicking and screaming into Dante land?
    (I’m not desperate for a solution, there are other ways ’round, but was curious if anyone had tried something other than the obvious break-out return/send box or USB bridge into Dante Via)

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

This jogged a question I had at an Infocom long ago no one at AandH was able or willing to answer:

Is there any way to manipulate the ME-U hub (with card options) and ME controller to drag a QU series mixer kicking and screaming into Dante land?
    (I’m not desperate for a solution, there are other ways ’round, but was curious if anyone had tried something other than the obvious break-out return/send box or USB bridge into Dante Via)

That is an interesting idea. I don’t have a ME system to test with, but there are so many reasons why I don’t think this will work. Primarily because while the ME system has inputs going to it, but does not “output” individual channels. The only way to get an “output” from a ME system is to plug headphones into a ME-500 or ME-1 unit and then it is obviously only going to be single stereo output. Even the ME ports on A&H devices are set up with only input channels and no “output” returns. Therefore, while it is relatively easy to get 40 channels of Dante INTO an ME system, I don’t see anyway to get those channels OUT of the ME system and into the QU system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.