QU-32 to work with Aviom AN-16i

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-32 to work with Aviom AN-16i

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kermit911
    Kermit911
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have been Googling this issue and I found a bunch of articles (Mainly from this site) that talk about connecting the Aviom. I am still a little confused, I guess the short question is… Will a 16 channel Aviom connect and work with the QU-32? If so, how? If not what can I do to get it to work? Please explain this it’s driving me nuts. I am new to the digital mixer and I am currently taking online classes. There is SOOOO Much! This Aviom issue is on the top of my list because no one can hear themselves.

With my old Allen Heath analog board I had all 16 Aviom channels plugged into the direct out of the mixer. Each channel had a direct out. Now with this digital board I don’t see any direct out for each channel.

Any help will be great! Thank you

Dave

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Looking at the block diagram you cant do that that way like you used to do it.
    Unless that could somehow be done with a multichannel USB output.
    We dont use USB so no clue how that works.

Diagram indicates you can send things to the usbB and to the QuDrive.
    Not sure how or what. But you could figure it out from that if you really need to do it and it is actually possible.

If you have the Qu32 why do you need an aviom mixer too?

Kermit911
    Participant

Hello, it’s not a mixer it’s a monitor system. 16 channels from the mixer to the Aviom, then up to the stage via cat5e then to a Avion switch then to individual aviom control boxes. Each box can controle the volume of the 16 channels.

Thanks for the ideas, I dont know how using the USB would work. The Aviom box has nothing but 1/4 inch line inputs.

Thanks
    Dave

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The QU boards are designed to be used with A&H’s ME digital monitor system, not an Aviom system. You could set up each of the mixes and groups to be assigned separate channels and plug the mix outputs into the Aviom inputs. This might get you close to what you need. For the stereo mixes, use panning to output to the required jacks.

Kermit911
    Participant

That stinks. I have 5k worth of Aviom gear that is dead in the water. So if I utilize the mix and groups that should give me…. 8 outputs that I could connect to the Aviom. I just have to figure out how to assign a single channel to 1 output now. Thank for the info.

Dave

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you’re not using groups, you can use them as mixes. With 10 mix outputs and 8 group outputs you have enough for your Aviom. Assign 1 channel to the mono mixes, and for the stereo mixes and groups, assign 2 channels and pan them full left and right.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m guessing here but maybe there is a hardware interface/converter that would take
    the output from the USB B and give you 16 analog outputs.

Kermit911
    Participant

Thanks for all the help everyone, I spoke with Sweetwater and I could use the Mix and Groups but I only have 8 of them. The short answer is, the Aviom system I have is not designed to work with the mixer I have. The Aviom I have uses 16 1/4″ plugs to get signal from 16 individual channels. I’m going to get a different board that will work with the Aviom I have. Thanks again everyone.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

With the qu-you app, the boards mixes basically replace an Aviom system. Instead of getting a new board, just get an AR2412 stage box and use the outputs for your mixes controlled by the qu-you apps. There is a limit to the number of qu-you app users that can connect to the board, though. How many separate mixes for monitors do you need?

There would probably be a market for a QU accessory that converted the USB-b to 8/16/24/32 analog outputs. This would let users with legacy equipment continue to use it (Aviom,multitrack recorders,live+recording mixer,etc.).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.