QU-24 Cooling Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-24 Cooling Question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thale5109
    thale5109
    Participant

My church has the QU-24 mixer which sits on a custom built roll-top desk that was built probably 15-20 years ago. We also have a 10u rack which sits on the desk and butts up right beside the mixer, leaving no space on either side of the mixer, and from how the desk is built, no way to slide the rack down to create space. Would this damage the mixer by causing it to overheat with no airflow for it to breathe? It is something I had not really thought about until just now. During operation, even when left on for several hour, the console does get fairly warm, but doesn’t seem to be getting too hot, nor has performance of the board been affected that I can tell. I didn’t know if it would be worth trying to drill a hole in the side of the rack to provide some airflow, or if it would be just fine where it is. Any opinions? Thanks for your help!

Thomas

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If there is no possible airflow around the desk then it will eventually get warm – but how warm depends on lots of factors.

A very low speed fan could almost certainly push fresh up up through a hole in the shelf under the QU and the air would escape through the mixer… you’d likely not hear a 1krpm 120mm fan, and you’d be happier.

Of course the board does also tell you what the temperature of the silicon has been…

Profile photo of thale5109
    thale5109
    Participant

Thanks, I had not thought about checking the temperature of the board through the settings display. Any suggestions on what type fan would be best? I pushed the board back on the desk this morning so that there is somewhat of an opening between the desk and the rack on the left side, I just don’t know if that would be enough. What type of fan would you suggest? I have been looking at this fan from Middle Atlantic and thought I might be able to lift the mixer up and slide this underneath it where the gap on the board is, that way it would push some air under there. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/499183-REG/Middle_Atlantic_COMP_COOL_COMP_COOL_Cabinet_Cooler.html Do you think this would work well? Or would you suggest something different?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Just take a couple of 2″ x 2″ pieces of the same wood as in the desk, finish them nicely and slide them under the mixer to lift it up.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d take any low rated PC fan and run it at 7 rather than 12 V

But I’d look at the actual temps – then take a decision.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.