Qu-16 studio use and monitoring (Cubase 7)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-16 studio use and monitoring (Cubase 7)

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Severi
    Severi
    Participant

I have a PC based homestudio with Cubase 7 and the Qu-16. I’m using the phones out as a monitor out for the musician playing
    and currently using alt out for “control room” monitoring on Adam A7X. The funny thing is that I actually don’t have a control room – everything happens in the same room. Now the problem is that every time the musician starts to play I want my monitors mute so there won’t be any leak on the mic. I could do this simply by turning the Alt out knob to zero but the mixer is too far away to reach easily. So is there a way to do this from Cubase 7? On the Cubase there is a Studio section with control room and headphone in the VST Connections but I can’t figure out how to route the signals on the Qu-16 or is that even possible? I know that channels 17-22 are the USB-B signal in channels and those can be assigned to ST1-ST3 etc. The headphone out probably only plays the Main Out signal, but if I used an external headphone amp?

It would be nice to be able to connect 2-3 (or more) headphones and a pair of powered monitors to the qu-16 with the possibility to make individual monitor mixes for the headphones while recording with PC. Is this possible with the Qu-16?

Profile photo of JohnnyD
    JohnnyD
    Participant

Hi,

The most logical solution in your situation would probably be to use external headphone amps and feed them from the mix outputs. If you connected your studio monitors to the main L/R output it would enable you to use the L/R mute button to quickly mute the monitors, leaving the headphone feeds in tact. Alternatively, you could set the alt-out source to “PAFL” (in Setup->Output Patch->Surface) and feed your studio monitors from the alt-out. This would enable you to PAFL an individual channel through the studio monitors.

Another alternative would be to mix completely in cubase and just use the Qu for audio routing duties. You should be able to set up several “studio” outputs in cubase in addition to your normal main mix output. Then route your main mix output to USB output 1-2, “studio” outputs to USB outputs 3-4, 5-6, etc… Then on the Qu, you would just send channels 1-2 to the LR mix, 3-4 to Mix 5-6, 5-6 to Mix 7-8, etc…

Hopefully that makes sense? There is a great Sound on Sound article about this here https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/cubase-0412.htm

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

get one of these, I have one and it is wonderful,
    it has a studio monitors level and mute switch on the right, and four individual stereo headphone outputs with volume for each.
    It has 1/4 balanced connectors on the back for stereo input and studio monitors output.

headphone amp front

headphone amp rear

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Any word of your other new toy yet Dan?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I am sitting waiting for FedEx.
    I am going to take some video and put it on youtube and post the link 🙂

Exciting times for sure!
    thanks Mr. Curry my last name is Kury too 🙂

Profile photo of JohnnyD
    JohnnyD
    Participant

The only problem with devices like that is that you don’t get independent mixes on each headphone out (if you need that kind of thing).

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If you want a hard-wired personal monitor mixer, Rolls make a device which might be useful:

https://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant
    Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The Rolls also is a “more me” device. I have a no-name four channel device but prefer to use the individual units. Connecting headphones back to a single source is a pain as is having to go to a central point for the “more me” adjustment.

Either way, cabling is the bugaboo in analog solutions whereas systems such as the ME or something like Aviom using digital taps take the cabling load off…for a price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.