QU-16 as a backup to SQ-6

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 as a backup to SQ-6

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gunzy gunzy 5 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Hi all,

Our church uses a QU-16(in production) within our community center and will be using the SQ-6(implementing) for our main Sunday service.

We have an issue with our SQ-6 and it needs to get fixed, and so I’ve been trying to figure out how to use the QU-16 as a temporary backup.

I understand that there are limitations in using the QU-16 as a backup, and so I’m trying to make the most of the situation.

For the SQ-6 configuration, we have both an AR2412 and AB168 running over dSnake, where the AR2412 is rack mounted, and the AB168 will be floating around on stage. We have 12 wireless mics (connected to the AR2412), and the AB168 will be for connecting 12 instrument inputs. We also have a mixture of ME-1 and ME-500s daisy-chained via the AB168.

For the QU-16, I will be reducing the mics from 12 to 7, and the instrument inputs from 12 to 9.

Questions:

1. Can I continue using both the AR2412 and AB168 where I patch 7 inputs from the AR2412 and I patch 9 inputs from the AB168? Or is it impossible to do that kind of input patching on the qu-16?
    2. Can I patch my piano L+R into stereo pair 17/18 and thus free up 2 mono inputs in the 1-16 range?

Thanks in Advance
    Millan

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes & Yes

🙂

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Mark,

You bring tears of joy to my eyes 🙂

Thanks man

Millan

Profile photo of SRD
    SRD
    Participant

2. Can I patch my piano L+R into stereo pair 17/18 and thus free up 2 mono inputs in the 1-16 range?

Both inputs 17 (St1) and 18 (St2) are stereo so you only need one or the other for your piano L+R

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe your doing this and I didn’t pick up on it in your post but you can assign/patch stage box inputs to the stereo input channels and they will function like a regular mic
    input.

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Mike,

The great thing about the forums is that we all get to ask questions, discuss and share, the bad is that a lot of old info is still on these forums.

Plus the docs from A&H on using audioracks does not show how to use multiple audioracks.

I also only have access to the equipment on weekends, so trying to build a configuration from a theoretical basis can only go so far 🙂

the QU-16 not having subgroups is a bit of a pain tho….

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

The OP has it right – 17/18 is a stereo PAIR (ST1). So is 19/20 (ST2) and 21/21 (ST3)

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Thanks all for giving me answers to this. I was able to set up the QU-16 quite easily where i got all the inputs in their proper channels.

Not having groups is a bit of a pain, but I have been able to make due with the 4 mono mixes and 3 stereo mixes. MIX 1 =Talk Back, MIX 3 = Drums, MIX 4 = Pastors aand Readers, Mix 5(STE) = Keys, Mix 6 (STE) = misc & ambience mics, and Mix 7 will be for fill speakers.

the only horrible thing so far is USB thumbdrive support. I’ve purchased 3 USB thumb drives so far and none of them work.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For the USB drives the Sansdisk Extreme and the Kingston Data Traveler series
    always work in my QU.

What are you feeding with the mixes, stage monitors, IEMS..?

IF you are looking for one common control fader for say pastors and readers
    the QU 16 has four assignable DCA groups available. The DCA’s are control only, no
    audio processing is available within a DCA group though.

In the Qu16 custom layer you can assign a fader for a each DCA.

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

The mixes are feeding ME’s and the fewer channels the musicians have to deal with, the better.

Yeah, i was gonna use dca’s for my foh speakers, 2 center speakers, and 2 side/fill speakers, but i can set this later.

Which version of your usb drives are you using?

Millan

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The Sansdisk Extreme is the model and so far any version of the Kingston Data Traveler I have tried has worked.

DCA groups do not have actual outputs to drive speaker zones.

Profile photo of gunzy
    gunzy
    Participant

Yup, the dca will remote control MAIN LR and mix 9-10 which will have all the necessary channels set at post fader

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.