Program change with BomeBox to SQ5 and stage boxes question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Program change with BomeBox to SQ5 and stage boxes question

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of giusfre giusfre 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

Hi!
    I have all my backingtracks (more than 150 songs) on a Cymaticaudio uTrack 24 and each one has his own midi file with program change at the very beginning of each song.
    I would like to store on an SQ5 one scene for each song and changing them when the backingtracks starts on the uTrack24;
    the uTrack has only standard Midi ports.
    Can I use, in your opinion, a BomeBox (https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox#videos) to directely send a midi program change fron an uTrack 24 to the SQ5 to change scenes? How many scenes can I store on an SQ5 with an associated midi program change number?

Can I use 2x Allen & Heath AR2412 to connect to the SQ5 for a total of 48 channels from stage to PA?

Many Thanks
    Marco

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, BomeBox will work, I use simular setup with dLive now. Not sure if Midi commands table is published for SQ yet, but in theory it should work. I can give it a try tomorrow in workshop.
    2 x AR2412 is not supported, because in 48k mode legacy protocol is used, that is 40ch max, so AR2412 + AB168 should work. Again- I can test that for you.

Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

Many many thanks for your help!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi giusfre,

MIDI is not currently implemented fully in SQ, though scene selection using program change messages is supported over USB and TCP/IP (as you would use with the BomeBox).

To do this, send a bank change followed by a program change.
    Some examples in hex:
    Scene#3 – B0 00 00 | B0 20 00 | C0 02
    Scene#130 – B0 00 01 | B0 20 01 | C0 01

Hope this helps, and thanks ddff_lv for answering first – you are exactly right, the dSnake protocol used by the AR2412 supports 40 input channels, so 2xAR2412 is not possible, and the maximum input channel count is achieved with 1x AR2412 and 1x AB168.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

Hi! Is it now possible to connect 2xAR2412 (for a total 48 remote input) to the sq5 with a SQ SLINK card installed in?
    Or….can I use a DX Hub to connect 2xAR2412 to the SQ5 or is it only for the DX168/X (in this case I would need 3x to get 48 remote input)?
    Many thanks
    Marco

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes, with an SLink card installed you can connect an AR2412 (plus an AB1608 for example) to each SLink port. Yes, DX-Hub is for DX boxes only.

Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

But you mean I can connect 1xAR2412+AB1608 to each S-LINK Port (for a total of 64 input channels) or that I can connect one AR2412 to a SLINK port and the AB1608 to the other port?

I need to have 48 input channels from the stage so I need to connect 2xAR2412! Is it possible or there is some kind of restriction inside the SQ5?

I work at 48K (don’t need 96K) and 2xAR2412 are half the prize (and the rack space) of 3xDX168/X!!!

Thanks for the help!

Marco

KeithJ A&H

Hi giusfre,

The SLink connections document (V1.2 here – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ7_SLinkConnections_V1_2_0.pdf) answers your questions, as it shows all possible connections for one SLink port.

As ddff_lv said previously in the thread – when using the dSnake protocol (AR2412, AB168, AR84), the maximum number of input channels that can be used is 40, so 1x AR2412 + 1x AB168.
    To be clear, this is a limitation of the dSnake protocol, not the SQ – so it’s not something that will change with SQ firmware updates.

You could connect 1x AR2412 + 1x AB168 to the in-built SLink port, and the same again to an SLink card, for access to 80 preamps, though of course the SQ is a 48 channel mixer and you’d need to run 2x cables from FOH to stage.

I appreciate you’re not looking to do it right now, but the neatest way to achieve 48 inputs from stage is definitely 3x DX168’s and a DX Hub.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

Hi Keith, thank you for your answer…now I have a little bit clear idea!
    So…if I have understand…if I have 2xAR2412 connected each one to a S-LINK port (with two cables) I can get 48 input from the stage? Right?

I know that 3xDX168/X + DX Hub is the better solution…but it cost’s the double prize than the AR2412 and about rack space also is the double…and for Touring (expecially in small clubs) could be a big problem!

KeithJ A&H

Hi giusfre,

That is correct – as 1x AR2412 is supported on an SLink port, and all those SLink configurations are independently supported by each port, using 2 cables would be the way to do it 🙂

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of giusfre
    giusfre
    Participant

Thanks
    Now I only have to be sure that the midi program change would work to recall scenes using the BomeBox…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.