POE Switch in 2019

Forums Forums ME Forums ME general discussions POE Switch in 2019

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nillwatson532 nillwatson532 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

Hi all…could I get some suggestions for some current POE switches that work with the ME system? We have tried 3 switches and all of them have clicked. Thanks.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Edimax Long Range 8 Port PoE+ Gigabit Switch, Supports Long Range Upto 200M, Port-Base VLAN, QoS, Auto-detect PD, Total 130W (GS-1008P V2) purchased in June 2018. Worked great right out of the box for both Me-1 and Me-500 when connected to QU-SB or ab168 to Edimax to ME units. I use 5e cables.

Notice that I said QU. If you are connecting to an SQ system, I’ve read that you may HAVE TO connect a 48k stagebox in between your mixer and the switch or do some other options that are beyond my knowledge.

Barry

Profile photo of ABAG Soundboard
    ABAG Soundboard
    Participant

We just picked up 5 ME500’s and use this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQHD54L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

You might have found it already, but we have a knowledge base article on this: https://allen-heath.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/702/175/me-1-compatibility-with-a-third-party-switch

If you’re hearing clicks with certain switches, the most likely reason is that they have a protocol of some kind running on the switch; if you’re lucky, you might be able to turn this off through the switch’s management interface. As the article says though, we recommend ‘dumb’ layer 2 switches, as these don’t have any ‘intelligence’ to interfere with the audio packets.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I second the BV tech switch on Amazon. We needed to add more ME’s to our system but didn’t want to spend 1800 on a ME-U.

We ordered 2 of the 18 port POE’s and they workied perfectly. Plug and play , nothing to set up.

Would highly recommend it!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I’m seeing a lot of dialog about using PoE switches used with ME-1’s. Is there any concern of damage to the ME port on dLive mixrack if a PoE switch port is connected to it? Is the ME port on dLive protected?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Mike

Any standards-compliant PoE switch or injector will only supply power to a port after a successful negotiation process with the end device, and this process is restarted each time something new is plugged in. Since the dLive ME port does not implement a PoE device, this negotiation does not take place, so no power is applied by the switch.
    Note however that it is possible to buy very cheap ‘passive injectors’ that do not conform to any particular standard and do not perform any negotiation. These are really an unknown quantity in terms of what happens when you plug them in to any particular device, and I would not recommend using them.
    Any switch from a manufacturer you have heard of will be standards compliant.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for confirming. Lovin’ dLive by the way!

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Hi Mike

Is this the switch you purchased?

BV-Tech 9 Port PoE Switch (8 PoE Ports | 1 Uplink Port) – 120W – 802.3af- POE-SW801 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010QXCIRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_smIfFbJ9NMDCG

I’m looking to connect ME1s via SLink to my SQ5.

Profile photo of DJSky
    DJSky
    Participant

I appreciate that A&H Would prefer to see an ME-U… and I do see them recommending dumb switches rather than Layer 3 ones, and they also say to disable any Layer 3 services… but what services exactly ARE layer 3 services? Can anyone enlighten us all on exactly what services need to be disabled?

I’m guessing IGMP Snooping and Spanning Tree Protocol… but what about ingress filtering, MTU size etc… anyone had much luck with managed switches at all?

Profile photo of DJSky
    DJSky
    Participant

Well, I’ve just spent a good hour trying all different kinds of settings to see what makes the click or not…

It turns out (I think) that it’s LLDP that needs disabling to sort the click issue.

Profile photo of nillwatson532
    nillwatson532
    Participant

I second the BV tech switch on Amazon.

We needed to add more ME’s to our system but didn’t want to spend 1800 on a ME-U.

We ordered 2 of the 18 port POE’s and they workied perfectly.

Plug and play , nothing to set up.

Would highly recommend it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.