Please make the default mix selection configurable.

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Please make the default mix selection configurable.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jcarter jcarter 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

Pretty please? With sugar on top?

We run a mono house and as such the console is configured as LR+M. Since we don’t use the LR main bus at all it isn’t configured on any of the layers. However, when deselecting a mix bus, the LR is selected by default. I would love to be able to tell the console to select the M Mono Bus as the default and not the LR Main bus. This would make sure that the input scribble strips and what not are always showing the correct assignment status (ie On/off, etc)

Thanx!

John

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

I’m in the same boat–in fact, it would be nice to be able to select *any* bus (not just a master) as the default, and then rather than tying up a stereo pair for the mono PA out I could do it from a mono aux or matrix and free up some extra buses.

@pilotspike–any reason you’re not using a mono matrix fed from only LR or the Msum in LR+Msum configuration in your house? Either of those should show the correct assignments.

pilotspike
    Participant

Hmm id need to think about that a bit, or at least better understand.

The matrix idea seems to me to burn up a bus for no good reason and with some of the stuff we are up to I would rather avoid that.

However, your second idea might make some sense. What I dont know however is how the console behaves in that mode. If in LR+MSum configuration, what happens when you select the Mix key of the MSum strip? I would imagine that it is functionally the same as pressing the Mix key of the L/R bus? Also, does it light up (ie show as being selected) when the L/R bus Mix key does?

If so this could be a workable solution that I quite honestly didnt think about.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I recently installed a GLD112 in a church. They have a center line array I installed but we kept the old left right speakers also. I feed them with LR and center with M. I think I have it on LR+Msum. I know that both LR and M mix lights operate together. Unlatching another mix goes back to both. I also have an escape softkey to go to LRM in case they get lost.

If that is the case that would solve your problem. I don’t think I did anything special it just did that. I am not there to look. I could possiblly check the editor file to see.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yes. I checked the editor. I have that console configured for LR+Msum. That way both mix lights will light. Just use you M out.

pilotspike
    Participant

Perfect. Thanx for the idea! That will be sweet. That will make stereo recording and live streaming easier as well.

Awesome!!

John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Glad to help. You channels mix to the LR then the M is a sum of that. So the individual mixes are the same on both. You will just have the main LR fader separate from the M master fader. Set up your I/O to have the outputs as you need on sockets as needed.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

Thanks for checking that out, GCumbee.

To elaborate on why you might want to use a matrix rather than LR+Msum…

LR+Msum ties up 4 mix outputs, the same as you would with a pair of mono matrix buses. You could use one of those mono matrix buses as your “Msum” (just send LR to it and nothing else) and have the other free to do whatever you like. If you don’t have any use for the “free” matrix bus or just aren’t that tight on the number of mix outputs it’s probably not worth the bother.

I mix in a church with a mono PA and use LR+Msum with the Msum driving the PA, but may revisit this if we add more monitor mixes as we’re currently discussing. But I sometimes like to record a board mix to the USB for things we only get one shot at recording (funerals, mainly). Having the two different master buses that I can set levels/EQ independently is nice in that situation, so I won’t switch unless I can’t make it work any other way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.