Optimal way to configure two pairs of speakers

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Optimal way to configure two pairs of speakers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ashleyj Ashleyj 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of adeattheback
    adeattheback
    Participant

We currently have a pair of Fohhn LX-501s as our main house speakers, and a pair of LX-60s half way back for fill in, mainly speech clarity. At the moment, all four speakers are connected to the Avantis via a Fohhn FC-9 system controller, which take a stereo pair from the desk, and apply two sets of equalizations, HPF and delay, one for each speaker pair. I’d like to be able to take the FC-9 out of the system (not least because it is only running at 48kHz). This seems trivial for the LX-501 pair, I’ll just duplicate the equalization and feed it amp directly from the Main LR outputs. I can’t see a very elegant way to add in the LX-60 pair, though – I was thinking of using a matrix (probably mono, as I don’t think we actually need stereo for these) and feeding in just the Main LR channels to that, but they will need to be post-fade so that both pairs of speakers respond to the main LR faders, and I think that means they will also be post-EQ. I guess I can add back in a mirror image of the EQ on the LX-501 channels to restore it to something that is close to flat, then apply the necessary equalization and add the delay? It just seems a bit crude… any suggestions for doing it “properly” would be very welcome, thank you!

Profile photo of Keule
    Keule
    Participant

Way to complicated…

You make a LR ,or setup whatever you like.
    You route your LR onto 2 Matrix, a stereo in front, and a stereo or just a mono for the delay.
    You add the EQ for the „system management“ and the delay only to the matrix.
    Notmaly 4 filters and missing allpass filters make that more and improvised emergancy solution, but it works wuit far.
    Not possible is a original snd sensefull limiting treshhold.

You habe still the eq on LR free for cosmetic on the whole system, if necesarry.
    You don‘t habe to flatten a already eq‘ed signal before eq‘ing for the other speacker…

At last: 48khz or 96khz is not really a different! Most people even dont recognize the difference in an a-b comparison, so really think about it, if its really worth the afford.

Good luck

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Using the manufacturers system controller very much is the proper way to do it.

Chris

adeattheback
    Participant

Very true, Chris, and it’s worked just fine up to now: it doesn’t have a direct IP interface (you have to use a separate interface which we don’t own, so I have to borrow one every time we need to make an adjustment) and – I’m not sure why – Fohhn are discontinuing the FC-9 with no obvious replacement planned. No particular reason for the one we have to go down, but if it did, that would be a challenge.

But LR Main into two matrices, yes, thanks for that suggestion, I’ll have a look at that, irrespective of whether I go down the bypass route. You are probably correct, Keule, that most people won’t notice a difference, though (rather to my surprise) I did get quite a lot of favourable comments on sound quality when we upgraded to the Avantis from our old Spirit LX desk. And I’m *almost* sure I can tell the difference between 48/96/192KHz on my Quad ESL57s at home…

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

96k makes a difference mathematically internally – it gives more head room when summing inputs and busses, etc. I would also totally expect the Avantis to sound different from an old analog board as well. But that doesn’t mean that taking out the system processor will improve the sound any further. I really doubt anyone will be able to tell a difference that your FC-9 is outputting at only 48k even if there was some way to A/B test it.

Profile photo of Keule
    Keule
    Participant

I made a comparison between gld and avantis. The preamps are extremly close in sound and phase (measured it), so you mostly compared the 48 to 96 –
    There is a very small difference, wich wasnˋt recogniced by 3 of 5 technicians.
    But still, there are quit some improvements of signalreproducability when going thruw several ad da converters.

Of course its possible to make an a-b comperrison. You would need a summarizer (balanced and isolated) and have to make shure, your filters on both “controllers” are exactly the same, to enshure you only listen to the 48k ad da converters. Easy trick to make that shure: flatten everything …. flat is always the “same”

But: any aditional correction as allpassfilters for phase correction or limitersettings cant be reproduced easily on the avantis, cause its a mixer, not a system controller!

I would stay with Chris93:

Qoute: Using the manufacturers system controller very much is the proper way to do it.

adeattheback
    Participant

Fair enough! Thanks for the combined wisdom, I will leave things well alone 🙂

Profile photo of Ashleyj
    Ashleyj
    Participant

Every lighting console has jumped onto it, strange the audio market is slow on the uptake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.