Newbie: How to record without everything coming through mains?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Newbie: How to record without everything coming through mains?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ty
    Ty
    Participant

Hello all,
    I’m very new to this. I just got a Qu Sb and am very happy with my purchase and am excited to get into digital mixers! (I’ve been an analog guy until now)

My question is:
    I want to record our band practice. We pretty much just use the Mains (2 Monitors) for vocals. But I need to record Drums, Bass, and 2 Guitars along with the vocals.
    How do I make it so just the Vocals come through the Mains without all the the other instruments coming through?

Any thoughts or help would be awesome!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Couple way to do that but I think this would be a simple starting point.

Set up you practice speakers connected to mix 1 out and operate then as you
    would for stage monitors.
    Set up mix 1 to be pre fade and just bring up the vocal channels in the mix 1 sends.

In the main mix bring up all the channels and create a mix just like you would live to record to the QU Drive. Use headphones and or locate the mixer in another room.
    If you move it into another room you could set up a couple small speakers to monitor
    the recording mix on.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Qu sb can multitrack to usb

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Assign only your vocals to the L/R mix. If you just want a stereo recording of your band, assign all your channels to one of the stereo mixes. Set them Prefader so you can easily set levels. Either record to an external recorder using the mix output on the SB or set USB tracks 17/18 to your mix L/R and use the stereo Qu-drive. Or as Showtime suggests record multitrack and use a DAW for final mix.

Be aware that because of digital headroom, 0db on the Qu’s meters is, I believe, -18db on the recordings.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Set them Prefader so you can easily set levels. Either record to an external recorder using the mix output on the SB or set USB tracks 17/18 to your mix L/R and use the stereo Qu-drive. Or as Showtime suggests record multitrack and use a DAW for final mix.

To clear up a possible wording mis interpretation with this option the QU USB mix L/R selection would not be the main L/R mix but either mix 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 with the left
    on 17 and right on 18.

Of course multitracking would work if they wanted to do post production.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.